O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman" saying something like:

Round here, there's a 'Vegatable Shop', a 'surveylance camera' and the best of the lot - 'French Bread at it's Best', printed on several thousand cardboard boxes which have been, are being, and will continue to be, distributed throughout the length and breadth of the country.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

From another thread in this group, a brochure's wording:-

"how the light bulb ban is going to effect you."

"Affect", shirley?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Priceless! :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

S Viemeister coughed up some electrons that declared:

They should return to teaching Latin... At least you leave with the concept that something called "grammar" exists.

Reply to
Tim S

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim S saying something like:

Now, that's just a reference to the parent's mother.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I enjoyed latin at school, and find it interesting still, it being at the root of many common words.

Here's another one that has started really annoying me lately. urning -thing into -think as in "I didn't see anythink at all" or "Nothink would persuade me to speak to him" or "There must be somethink to it".

And even worse when the "th" gets traded for an "f" as well ...

It is so common to hear this on the TV now, even from people that you would otherwise consider to be 'well-spoken' and well educated.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Arfa Daily" saying something like:

The day the BBC allowed some of those dreadful common oiks into the newsrooms was the the day standards went out of the window. The whole country used to be grateful to have a single standard, where they could hear their betters speak and aspire for their offspring to have a decent education and be able to speak like that also.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Two colleauges went to a conference in Germany, for one his first trip there. " There seem to be a lot of roads called Einbahnstrasse", he said ... pause while penny dropped ... "oh, ah, I see, I'll get my coat..."

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I don't know why people enter the fray on use of English without the thought they might be riding for a fall :o)...

  1. "jealous" is not the fear of losing, "jealousy" is. "Jealous" being the adjective, would be "frightened of losing"
  2. "Envious" is an accepted synonym for "jealous" anyway, so the point fails to be made.
Reply to
Bob Mannix

While I did study Latin, we also had one entire year of English Language tuition devoted to grammar. It was worth 15 percent in the O level and our teacher worked on the principle that, if we got full marks on the grammar question, it was virtually impossible to score so badly on essay and précis as to fail the exam. It also helped us to prepare for the Use of English exam, which was a university entrance requirement.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

In message , nightjar writes

Likewise at a county grammar. Teachers still in their demob suits and either not very able or they were dealing with poor material. Latin was an entrance requirement for university but I was ejected from the group after one year.

Living in Hertfordshire, I have got used to *must ov* and *off ov*. The latter relating to some minor TV celebrity.

My bete noir, already mentioned, is the BBC and misuse of bought/brought!

Thank heavens for a newsgroup where errors are ignored or helpfully corrected:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Its all part of the 'lets pretend that the country can be run and governed by people who are as stupid as the worst member of the electorate'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So you actually think an accent reflects intelligence or ability?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

:-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"nightjar .me.uk>"

Quite so.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

Isn't it already?

Reply to
Tim S

But do you say 'droring'?

Reply to
Alang

In message , Arfa Daily writes

The local florist had a sign in the window stating they would be open all day on Wednesday's.

Other irritations: less/fewer lie down/lay down me/myself lens/lense lend/borrow disinterested/uninterested x times less x times more/x times as many didn't used to

(walks away muttering)

Reply to
Peter Twydell

:-)

Another one is saying 'for free', rather than 'free' or 'for nothing'.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Lath/lathe

Reply to