O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

There's a local print firm near here with an enormous sign on the side of their building advertising, inter alia, "Vehical Signs".

Reply to
Frank Erskine

RAOTFLMAO

I didn't get it until right at the moment I had to scroll down.

Oh, come on Dave. Surely you know how long it takes to clean a keyboard these days.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I saw 'cawshun' written on something recently. Scary.

Reply to
Rick

My god ! It's even worse than I suspected ... Lots of funny stories here - until, that is, you actually take time to stop and think about them, and then it stops being quite so funny. I am seriously saddened that a once great teaching system, has now reached the point where it is turning out people who know so little as to not realise that these things are wrong. A lad I know is now a teacher himself. He used to come to our house (he was friends with our son) and say "I brought a new game for my computer today" and I used to say "No (Andy), you *bought* a new game, and then you

*brought* it home". I wonder how many kids in North London are now growing up with that little gem in their limited comprehension of the language ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

My local newsagency excepts all credit cards.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .me.uk>"

Does your local newsagent do the same?

Reply to
Dave Baker

Depends. One teacher when I was at school used to write 'pleese leeve' on the blackboard to stop the cleaners washing it down.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"nightjar .me.uk>"

Yeah. That and "loose" for "lose" are two that really get me ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

In article , Arfa Daily writes

Not 'arf' as much as infer and imply!!

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

The worse one I remember was "LOOK RIHGT" painted on the road at a pedestrian crossing.

And almost no sign writer seems to know when to use an apostrophe.

Reply to
Mark

becoming ubiquitous.

A furniture store near me sells "Sofa's Chairs, and table's" apparently.

At my local builder's merchant I recently asked if they had "free doors" in stock. They said they had, so I said I would take 4 of them.

Another time, while ordering some 4x2 timber they asked me what "lemf" I wanted. I said I had no idea as I didn't know what a "lemf" was.

:-)

Reply to
tom.harrigan

It's easy - nothing to it!

Reply to
PeterC

At work, for a laugh, we stencilled 'Fragile' backwards on a crate. It's even more difficult with stencilling due to finding and using letters singly. It came out as 'eligraF', so we decided it was a place in Scotland.

Reply to
PeterC

"nightjar.me.uk>" My local newsagency excepts all credit cards.

So does mine but they do take debit cards.

Reply to
dennis

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com coughed up some electrons that declared:

They must love you

:)

Reply to
Tim S

How about jealous and envious?

jealous: fear of losing (or is that loosing?) soemthing you have envy: desire for something you don't have.

example: "oh, I'm dead jealous of your new shoes!"

Reply to
pete

We used to have an Indian restaurant in town which was set back off the road. You could drive up to the doors and order the take away. The sign said "Mum taz" which we all assumed to be the name of the restaurant and therefore called it that for years. Then an Indian film on TV showed a car park in Dehli with a sign that said "Car Park" then "Mum Taz" underneath.

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

Lead and led are often misused. "I" where "me" should be used. "would of" "had of" "could of"

Reply to
S Viemeister

No. jealous: resentment of someone who has something you do not (regardless of your desire or need of it).

Reply to
djc

I've never been inside the agency to speak to the agent, so I cannot answer that.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar