number of power sockets

my first post to uk.d-.i-y. What can I say , thanks everyone. I am in fact NOT going to stay in the property ( long divorce story that I won't bore you with ).

Aerial socket seems to be a must. 2 doubles in each bedroom and 3 each in lounge and d/room. RCD protected circuit will be for the d/room ( patio doors ) and one marked "RCD" by back door in kitchen.

davep

Reply to
davep

Nah, tried that: she wouldn't keep still.

Reply to
Lobster

The message from davep contains these words:

While you're at it, you might consider network cabling.

Some may consider wired networks old hat, but they have a number of advantages over wireless systems, paricularly if the disruption of running the cables isn't counted as a minus 'cos you did it while you had the chance.

Reply to
Guy King

yep , i have considered running some cat (5/6?) cable from suitable dsl/router location (under stairs) to bedrooms and d/room. i did this in the FMH. But where do I stop. A burglar alarm system would be nice but isn't a must have.

Reply to
davep

The message from davep contains these words:

Cuts the insurance premium.

Reply to
Guy King

What is the maximum number of sockets you should sensibly have on a single ring in, say, a kitchen, which usually has the most ? Is there a point where you should install thicker than 2.5mm cable, or

2 rings ? Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson

Ours doesn't. The insurance companies I spoke to about it originally (a few years ago now) weren't interested unless we had some certificate or other to prove it was installed by "a NACOSS-approved fitter". As the alarm came with the house when we moved in, and there was no such certificate, they didn't care whether we had an alarm or not. Bastards.

It's all bloody certificates, approvals, and bits of paper these days. It's enough to make one go mad, steal a gun, and start shooting random individuals in a busy public place, I tells ya.

Reply to
Chris Cowley

There's no fixed limit to the number of sockets on a ring as the cable is (or should be) protected by a suitably-sized breaker. If the ring is unlikely to be able to adequately support the expected loads (allowing for diversity) then you would need more than one ring. A separate ring for fixed appliances like washing machine & dishwasher is not uncommon, and I have a separate non-RCD-protected 20A radial supplying the fridge/freezer and combi boiler.

Reply to
Chris Cowley

It's probably a division of CORGI or NICEIC.

Reply to
Matt

The message from Chris Cowley contains these words:

Do you have a certificate for thoughts like that, or would you like to apply for self-certification?

Reply to
Guy King

Might suggest to buyers it's a high crime neighbourhood.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In lounge, kitchen/diner if big enough, 2 bedrooms.

Don't be mean. If you give the impression of having skimped (and sockets really are cheap) buyers might wonder what else has been economised on.

Borrow Sarah Beeny books from the library and peruse carefully.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We live in a high crimeneighbourhood but don't havealarms.

No-one's broken into the house though ... nothing they want :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There is no limit to the number of sockets but there is to the area the sockets are meant to cover. I think it's 100sqm.

The only other limitation is the voltage drop to the furthermost socket.

In reality for a standard 2, 3 or 4 bed house neither should be an issue.

Reply to
Fred

Which might imply that *you* are the criminal element in your area, and that you are prolific at your pilfering!

It's always been my dream to be the "bad" neigbour in my neigbourhood, rather than the sprinkling of idiots I have that surround me. The most amusing of which is one neighbour many houses away who is so staunch a Glasgow Ranger fan that he lights one firework for every goal that Celtic get beaten by! I mean, support your team by all rights but don't berate teams you don't support. Oh well, comes with living in the town that has the "Number Zero" Orange lodge...

Mungo :-)

Reply to
Mungo

The message from "Mungo" contains these words:

Nah, then her house would be full of things worth pinching.

Every now and then some bright criminal works out that the Police warehouse is a good place to burgle.

Reply to
Guy King

No, just have nothing desirable, i.e.easily saleable.

We're not regarded as 'bad', just weird. But we are English ...

And the bad lads aren't in our street, it's just that our postcode is damned by insurance companies because there are drug dealers and associated thefts locally.

You could move :-)

There's no reason for us to move, there are problems everywhere. A new neighbourhood might see us as a problem and vacate the area:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not all criminals steal to keep. More likely steal to liquidate.

Mungo :-)

Reply to
Mungo

Yes, the Krays never seemed to get burgled...!

(actually, one of that family owned a restaurant near here, and that

*was* robbed by someone who was either (a) stupid or (b) had a death wish...)
Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes. And we have nothing which could be sold easily.

Reply to
Mary Fisher