Number of 'electrical phases' ?

On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:33:02 +0100, Jim mused:

Erm, well how many rooms means how many rooms. e.g kitchen, dining room, lounge, 3 bedrooms & bathroom. 7 rooms there.

Phases, for simplicity just tick the box for single phase. If you don't know what 3 phase is then you don't need it. It's generally reserved for commercial installations or installations with huuuuge amounts of power requirements, like mansions and large properties with all electric heating.

Reply to
Lurch

I've applied for a new mains electric supply to a flat at my address. They sent me a form to fill in. They ask me how many rooms at the address, and then: "How many electrical phases?"

Can someone translate this into layman's language?

Thank you,

Jim

Reply to
Jim

On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:39:35 +0100, Jim mused:

They're after more like hoists and cranes.

Problem with these forms is they are exactly the same as the ones for a large industrial manufacturing plant so most of the questions are there to confuse you.

Reply to
Lurch

PS - They also want to know the number of "motors and welders" at the address. Should I count things like washing machines, mixers, computer cooling fans, and boiler flue fans?

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Go on. Ask for 5.

Reply to
dom

Go on. Ask for 5.

Reply to
dom

The ones they would be interested in are big induction motors that may have a poor power factor (and often big switch on surges). That tends to rule out most domestic equipment. I would be tempted to answer that as "none, just ordinary domestic appliances"

Reply to
John Rumm

Thank you for clarifying. Can you also help with the "motors" question in this thread? Do they want me to add up literally *all* the motors in my house, inlcuding PC cooling fans?

t.i.a.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

On Fri, 18 May 2007 18:07:53 +0100, Jim mused:

I did, half an hour ago. ;)

Reply to
Lurch

Many thanks!

Jim

Reply to
Jim

|!On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:30:21 +0100, Lurch |! wrote: |! |!>Phases, for simplicity just tick the box for single phase. If you |!>don't know what 3 phase is then you don't need it. It's generally |!>reserved for commercial installations or installations with huuuuge |!>amounts of power requirements, like mansions and large properties with |!>all electric heating. |! |!Thank you for clarifying. Can you also help with the "motors" question |!in this thread? Do they want me to add up literally *all* the motors |!in my house, inlcuding PC cooling fans?

And one motor per hard drive.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Interesting thought: I have lots of big induction motors inmy workshop, although I only ever run two at once (dust collector plus, say thicknesser). What would a supplier do differently about my supply if they knew about this (which they don't, they think it's a Bungalow with a Garage)? Change my meter form the 'whirling whatsit' perhaps?

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Charge you extra for lack of power factor correction:

dom

On Fri, 18 May 2007 19:13:30 +0100, TheOldFellow mused:

That's not big. As I mentioned previously, the form is intended for every type of supply imaginable. As a basic rule of thumb, if it has a

13A plug on it, then I doubt they'll be interested.
Reply to
Lurch

You're probably fine - there are guidelines on the freqency of starts, and DIY use won't generally be an issue - commercial use where you might be doing 60 starts an hour, or several hundred welds might be though, particularly once you take the startup current into account (although in theory the supply they have installed should be big enough to take this...)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Thanks for the reassurance. It is indeed, only a hobby.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Two. Unless it's fixed head.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The answer you want, 7unless you intend to run large workshop macjinery is

ONE.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Head assembly tends to be moved by a voice coil these days... much faster than using a motor or stepper.

Reply to
John Rumm

I know...but technically I'd class that as a motor!

Reply to
Bob Eager