Notes on things discovered in the electrics

O.K. - first thing discovered (or rather confirmed) as the major rewire progresses.

Always label up the CU comprehensively. Never trust the labels on the CU. Always test ALL the sockets on a ring (or lights on a circuit) the first time you power it down. Still don't trust anything or anyone (including yourself).

A couple of things have emerged: (1) The central heating does not have its own breaker in the CU - it is powered off the downstairs lighting. This is not recorded on the CU or by the CH programmer. No lights, no heating. It would have been nice to know beforehand. Normally I would have expected the CH to have been on the upstairs 13 amp as the main works are (were) in the airing cupboard upstairs. (2) There is one downstairs double socket which is not on the 13 amp ring - instead it is a spur directly off the CU (which is nearby). Unfortunately it is spurred off the upstairs 13 amp ring. So if you power off the downstairs ring you still have one live double socket. This is not recorded on the CU. Presumably done when the kitchen was extended and all the electrics were shifted around so that there could be downstairs power whilst the downstairs circuits were being comprehensively modified.

Second thing - the wiring under the kitchen floor is 'interesting'. There are more spurs than in the average Western and shares in junction box suppliers must have soared when the work was undertaken. I assume that the original wiring in the original kitchen was modified to include the new kitchen in the extension by breaking into the 13 amp ring and extending it - likewise the cooker circuit - plus maintaining the ring in the adjacent dining room and all without doing more than lift a few floor boards. Still, there were an awful lot of junction boxes - probably would have been better to break into as few places as possible. Always difficult when the wiring is embedded in plaster and you don't want to have to replaster the whole room.

I have been guilty of spurs and junction boxes in the past. You don't really appreciate what the result is until you remove the whole floor and some internal walls and look at the wiring in all its exposed glory. As I understand it this layout would not pass current wiring regs, but unless a fault had developed in a junction box then normal testing would not have revealed how many junction boxes there were.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

In general, I don't see the need for any junction boxes in a ring. Spurs can be taken from the nearest socket. Although I accept a junction box may be easier if the wiring to the sockets is plastered into a wall, and the spur is an addition.

As regards the CH circuit, I'd give it its own radial if re-wiring.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When I rewired one of my flats I ended up with more cable left at the end than I started with.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

Sounds sensible if you are not intimately familiar with the system.

A rephrasing of "measure twice, cut once" ;-)

Sweet.

never assume....

Which is ok....

That less so ;-)

Sometimes useful - but careful labelling is rather helpful here.

Perhaps...

When I changed the CU here, spent some time looking at the third set of cables attached the the downstairs ring, trying to work out what the apparent spur was feeding. I was stumped since I had identified all the sockets still on the ring or as "normal" spurs from it. Eventually swmbo said "what about that socket at the bottom of the stairs", and I thought, hmmm you mean that one I completely missed! Sure enough...

Ah, kitchen fitters ;-)

Neither are a crime, and both have their place.

Well since junction made properly in a JB is not a "fault" as such, you would not expect it to.

Reply to
John Rumm

No, it wouldn't be.

I discovered that a socket in the lounge was spurred off the immersion heater circuit.

Which also fed the socket in the garage.

There was also a socket in one bedroom which was an obvious late addition, which was handy as the builders had left that bedroom without any sockets at all.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ours (boiler in the bathroom) ran off the electric shower! A _lot_ of head scratching before I found that one.

Mind you, the last-but-one place had a shower off the ring.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Which end?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I also found that bell wire elongates when you pull it a bit.

:-)

HN

Reply to
HN

whilst boiling the kettle supplied by it?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Just found some instances of green goo. Looks as though only a small subset of the wiring is affected, though, and this looks to be newer (thinner plastic insulation) than the majority of the red&black wiring. So perhaps it will not be a whole house rewire.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Just in case you have not seen it and for info for other posters

is a section there on the green goo.

How much of your rewire is diy? This question has nothing to do with your abilities but is about where you get your parts from and the prices you pay. It is an offer to find a cheaper supplier for your parts if I can.

Reply to
ARW

Thanks Adam - very kind of you.

I am employing an electrician to do the new wiring because he will be faster than me and I'm already chasing too many things at once :-)

He seems to have a reasonable supplier - we shall see.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts