Equipotential bonding

Read the Wiki, just need to double check.
Whole house re-plumb in plastic. So (apart from directly around the combi) there shouldn't be any metal in the hot and cold plumbing until you get to the taps. So in turn I assume that there is no bonding requirement for the H&C system as there seems no way that a faulty earth in an appliance (including bathroom lighting etc.) can cause current to flow through a person to earth via taps or water pipes.
Majority of the CH will be in plastic - the only copper is likely to be the incoming gas main up to the combi, a short run of 15mm pipe at entry/exit to the combi, and probably short tails on the radiators going below floor to join the plastic main piping for flow and return.
So earth at the CU should be bonded to the gas pipe as close to the entry into the property as possible (by the meter which is on the outside wall). Electrics around the combi should be bonded to the copper gas pipe. Oh, and the gas hob should be bonded to the gas pipe as well. Probably anything electrical in theoretical touching distance of a gas pipe (or the hob?) in the kitchen.
Is there anything else that should be bonded? With all plastic the traditional problem of routes to earth being created by metal gas and water pipes seem to have gone away.
Cheers
Dave R
--
Outlook Express within VMWare Player
Running under W7 64bit
On Sep 1, 11:25 am, "David WE Roberts" wrote:

Yes.
No. The electrics are earthed by the circuit protective conductor to the main earth terminal, and the gas pipe is bonded to the main earth terminal. The boiler, if it requires earthing, will be earthed by the circuit protective conductor.

No.
No.
No, according to 17th Edition.
If your bathroom wiring is to 16th Edition (i.e. not all circuits are RCD) then you may need to equipotentially bond for the bathroom.
And the regulations are different for council houses. For council houses it's compulsory to earth everything (including the individual hot and cold taps). :-)
Owain
Add pictures here
✖
Owain wrote:

Umm..O.K. - for the combi and the hob I thought I was protecting against an earth fault in the wiring to the device (something as simple as the earth lead coming out of the socket), a break in the earth wiring somewhere in the circuit, or a faulty earth connection at the CU removing earth protection from the device, and then a subsequent fault rendering the device live but not tripping the breaker. So that when someone touched the device and the gas pipe, a new route to earth was created via the person, leading to a radical new hairstyle.
--
Outlook Express within VMWare Player
Running under W7 64bit
✖
Owain wrote:

Would you mind if I copy and pasted your reply?
That is what I was going to post.
--
Adam

Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 1, 12:12 pm, "ARW" wrote:

Feel free :-)

Great minds, etc.
Owain
Add pictures here
✖
Owain wrote:

On Sep 1, 11:25 am, "David WE Roberts" wrote:

Yes.
No. The electrics are earthed by the circuit protective conductor to the main earth terminal, and the gas pipe is bonded to the main earth terminal. The boiler, if it requires earthing, will be earthed by the circuit protective conductor.

No.
No.
No, according to 17th Edition.
If your bathroom wiring is to 16th Edition (i.e. not all circuits are RCD) then you may need to equipotentially bond for the bathroom.
And the regulations are different for council houses. For council houses it's compulsory to earth everything (including the individual hot and cold taps). :-)
--
Adam

Add pictures here
✖
In article < snipped-for-privacy@s2g2000vbj.googlegroups

Umm ... why?..

--
Tony Sayer

✖
tony sayer wrote:

I can only speak for the 16th edition and Doncaster council. They completely ignored the 16th edition rules and bonded everything. As I am no no longer allowed to work for them I have no idea what they do with the 17th edition rules.
Barnsley council seem to follow the 17th edition.
--
Adam

Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 13:30:55 +0100, ARW wrote:

The council leader's wife? Or someone else?
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On 01/09/2012 12:19, tony sayer wrote:

Because council jobsworths with no actual understanding, get to make the "rules"...
--
Cheers,

John.

✖
John Rumm wrote:

Name one:-)
--
Adam

Add pictures here
✖
On 01/09/2012 14:09, ARW wrote:

A jobsworth or a rule?
The latter would be easy - EQ bonding metal sinks and baths, or insisting that supplementary bonding must be visible in the room etc.
As for jobsworths, I try to keep away from them!
--
Cheers,

John.

✖
On 01/09/2012 18:23, John Rumm wrote:

Although with hindsight - could you be thinking of a certain Mr. B?
;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

✖
John Rumm wrote:

:-):-):-)
--
Adam

Add pictures here
✖
David WE Roberts wrote:

What circuits are you planning on the rewire?
And it is nice to see someone using RCBOs and not just a dual RCD CU.
--
Adam

Add pictures here
✖
o.uk> scribeth thus

What's the typical price of RCBO's now of a decent make?..
--
Tony Sayer

Add pictures here
✖
tony sayer wrote:

£25 for Hager. Who I consider to be the market leader in quality. Possibly a little more if you do not have an account at an electrical wholesalers. MK are cheaper at most places but MK is no longer what it used to be.
--
Adam

Add pictures here
✖

Is that MK, or MK made-outside-the-UK MK? I've heard both.
Add pictures here
✖
Andy Dingley wrote:

I have no idea where the stuff in the wholesalers is made.
--
Adam

Add pictures here
✖

Over 50% of the house is being rewired and I am having a new CU. So nearly everything will go on RCBOs. Up to 12 circuits at the moment so this is likely to be a bit expensive, but worth it in the long run.
As discussed in another thread, the main reason for RCBOs is to avoid taking out the whole CU (or half for a split CU) with an earth/neutral fault when working on an individual socket or light fitting. I am trying to plan ahead and make the next 10-20 years as easy as possible.
Fridge/freezer on own circuit. CH on own circuit.
Planning to move the existing CU down to the shed but won't be using most of it.
Cheers
Dave R.
[Not even bunny]
✖