Noisy Ceiling Cord Pull Switches

I have given up trying to find a quiet one - but I am curious as to why wall switches can have a gentle slow make/break action - but ceiling ones seem to have a fast snap action. If anyone knows of a quiet one then let me know - but I think I can swop one from my loft light which is old and quiet with the noisy new one in my bathroom.

Reply to
John

I have given up trying to find a quiet one - but I am curious as to why wall switches can have a gentle slow make/break action - but ceiling ones seem to have a fast snap action. If anyone knows of a quiet one then let me know - but I think I can swop one from my loft light which is old and quiet with the noisy new one in my bathroom.

Reply to
John

Are you sure that it is noisy and not just an echo?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Are you sure that it is noisy and not just an echo?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Totally agree. Someone pulling the cord in the middle of the night wakes the whole house. I've not been successful in finding a quiet one though.

Reply to
Peter Scott

Momentary contact low voltage pullcord, and some sort of latching relay box?

There must me something of that sort on the market. Try home automation websites.

Reply to
Graham.

Graham. ( snipped-for-privacy@privicy.com) wibbled on Tuesday 15 March 2011 21:05:

your lights can be dimmed. I have one - it is silent!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Occupancy sensor?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Many years ago, I had a ceiling switch which was virtually silent. It was probably 50 years old when, unfortunately, it packed up. The one I replaced it with produced a noise like a pistol being fired. I've learned to live with it - partly by refining my pulling technique, and partly by ignoring it. But there must be some quite switches out there.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The quietest ones were made by Legrand. CEF used to be stockists. I have not used either for a few years.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I've got one similar in the bog. The bathroom one is quiet. The original in the bog was quiet. I don't seem to be able to buy a quiet one. The cheapo one was noisy so I replaced with one from one of the market leaders. Just as bad. Still looking for a quiet one.

Reply to
<me9

A quick Google finds this:

posters simply talk around the problem, but there is this recommendation in post #4:
no guarantees.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Yeah, only the other day I was wondering about this - at 3am when one of the kids went to the loo. Why they need the light on, I can't imagine - there's a streetlight outside.

Reply to
Skipweasel

That's what we've done downstairs, though for different reasons.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Don't use a 10A one, almost pulls the ceiling down, look for a 2A or better a 1A.

Reply to
brass monkey

We have an LED nightlight in the bathroom so one can see to do one's business without putting a light on.

Reply to
Huge

What you need is a motion sensor...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

But what if you DON'T want to turn the light on?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Boo! Hiss!

Reply to