No baths in Barnet

"A London council is set to introduce planning rules encouraging builders to provide only a shower.

A person showering rather than bathing can save around

66 gallons of water a week and Thames Water recommends showers.

Now Tory-run Barnet council is consulting residents on planning rules that would apply to house extensions and developments of less than 10 homes.

If someone failed to check whether a bath could be left out it would be a "material consideration" in deciding whether to grant permission. Schemes that include a bath unnecessarily could be refused."

"... Barnet has been driving forward the green agenda. It was the first borough to threaten fines for residents who refuse to recycle their rubbish."

'shower-only'%20bathrooms/article.doPerhaps a warning to anyone who thinks that getting rid of the present government will change things for the better.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

You don't say how many baths/week are assumed for this saving...

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

I thought cockneys bathed fortnightly whether they need one or not? :-p

Reply to
Phil L

'shower-only'%20bathrooms/article.doPerhaps

Where are they going to put the coal?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not legally possible under current planning legislation. It would be overruled on appeal.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

There aren't many Cockneys, and likely to be few in Barnet.

Anyway, I thought that was Northerners. Tin bath in front of the fire...

Reply to
Joe

Aye, lad every Friday, needed or nay. T's 'nce a wick lad. Sithee?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Barnet people are Northerners...

Reply to
Andy Hall

I may be suffering from an illusion but aren't baths for storing coal? They don't ned water for that.

Reply to
<me9

I think you mean annually.

Reply to
<me9

'shower-only'%20bathrooms/article.do>> Perhaps a warning to anyone who thinks that getting rid

Or don't they have young families in Barnet!??! __________________________ The Grim Reaper

Reply to
The Grim Reaper

Are you disrepecting cockerneys?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Surely you're an honorary chav, now?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Maybe innit, but I started as a cockerney. Are you calling my mum a pikey?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

But the working classes of the National Service generation wash their coal...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The 'Merton Rule' requiring 10% energy from renewables - really a Building Regulations matter - seems have been allowed. Then you get a bright spark like this:

"Councillor Andrew Cooper, Kirklees Council cabinet member for housing and property, said: "We are effectively setting our own version of the building regulations for renewable energy in Kirklees and this will impact on every residential home, every children's centre and every school we build....""

.. to be enforced through planning.

Tony Bryer

Thank you, I now feel honoured! (a resident of the London Borough of Barnet).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Don't you mean whitewash?

Reply to