NICEIC Q

If you have self installed wiring (before recent changes) do you have to be NICEIC approved to certify it ... or can you self-certify ?

I built my own house ... been living in it for 6 years ..... to close loop on final completion (Building Regs) they want an electrical installation certificate (does not specify NICEIC) ...

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Major or minor work in the part P sense?

For minor works I have had a BCO happy to accept my test results on a standard minor works cert.

For a part P major work (i.e. a "notifiable" one), then you would normally need to be a member of a body that allows self cert, or which NICEIC is one of several.

If you started the work prior to part P kicking in, then I expect your own (or none at all) should be acceptable - since it would not have been a requirement at the outset. (generally in these cases you can elect to go by the rules as they are now, or as they were at the time the work was done).

Reply to
John Rumm

I suspect that BC are supposed to do this as part of your BN.

Reply to
Phil

If you applied and built it before Part P (which came in about 6 years ago, but I can't remember the date), then they shouldn't need anything as electrical work wasn't covered by building regs.

If it was after Part P, then it was their responsibility to inspect and certify it as it was wired up, although lots of LA's try to wriggle out of this. All you can do at this point if that didn't happen is get an inspection certificate done (which they should pay for, but probably won't). It's up to them if they accept an inspection certificate produced by you, or require one from a certified body (of which NICEIC is one, but they can't insist on any specific one). They could be really arsy are refuse to accept an Inspection Cert, but I don't think there's any other option at this point.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It is only the LA's responsibility if he asked the LA to certify the electrics. And it would not be possible to do that prior to part P (1st Jan

2005 ISTR)

An inspection certificate seems to be suitable solution for both sides if the work was done prior to part P.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

yep started work prior to Part P

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I suspect that BC are supposed to do this as part of your BN.

BCO can offer to do this, or accept a certificate.

I was in TLC and they were selling packs of these proformas ... awfully tempting

Reply to
Rick Hughes

This was a SelfBuild and all this was all prior Part P ... and BCO fees at that time did not include electrical inspection fees, just requiring a certificate that it has been done.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

You should be able to issue your own certificate in that case.

You do know that the certificate will never be looked at, you could probably send in the side of a cornflakes packet for all they are really worth.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Then in theory, nothing to worry about then...

Reply to
John Rumm

I recently sold my house, that had post-Part P uncertificated wiring done in the kitchen.

The buyer's solicitor's questionnaire asked:

Q: Has any electrical work been carried out after 2005 Y/N

A: Y

Q: Is a certificate available for this work Y/N

A: N

It would appear that lack of certification is no bar to selling.

TF

Reply to
Terry Fields

Yes, I sold my UK home in 2008 and was quite honest about unapproved electrical and gas work. Electric question answered as above, gas by offering a Landlord's Gas Safety Certificate. TBH I do believe that requiring the latter on sales (as well as annually on tenanted properties) might genuinely improve safety, unlike Part P.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I spoke to BCO this morning.

First off to explain further ..... as well as main house which had Building Regs submission in 1998, there was a second build of a car/port boat shed outside that had submission date of 2005.

The house does not need any form of certification ... as it commenced prior to Dec 2004

The Outbuilding does need BS7671 "Part P Domestic Installation Certificate" They normally receive an on-line notification via the approved contractor scheme, but will also accept manual certificates from an approved person .. NICEIC registration being one such accepted approval.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

now now .... don't get temperamenatal ..

I know the same is true for Gas installs ... I did all my own install other than gas connection to boiler. The guy only did up the union nut, on bolier and at meter, and did a gas test with a naked flame over the union (I though that was stuff of myths)

He issued CORGI safety certificate though so I had what I want .... cost was

200 ciggarettes.
Reply to
Rick Hughes