New technology wind turbine for TNP

Lovely in theory, but with the current interpretation of that (i.e. biased toward solar and wind), there is little control over the time of generation and hence little ability to dispatch it at a time that would actually be of benefit. How much of your PV output will assist tonight's demand surge? I suspect its a nice round figure unless you have a street light nearby.

and what do we get instead? lots of wind and hot air...

Even with CHP gas boilers its marginal given they simply shift generation to gas, and do so with less efficiency than a CCGT supplying via the grid.

What's that, a new social network?

Reply to
John Rumm

Typical oversimplification from someone who can barely grasp the essentials, let alone the detail.

Strange to relate, real engineers, as opposed to armchair mechanics, have to do - and did when the CEGB planned the grid- balance te cost of a lot of small power stations and less grid, with the cost of a few larger power stations and more grid.

Ther are huge costs and energy inefficiencies associated with micro generation.

Which why we all have to pay harry 50p a unit for his microgenerated crap that no one wants or needs.

Instead of 5p for coal.

Every time the wind blows or the sun comes out, your electricity bill goes up because of harry and the other freeloading troughing rent seekers of the renewable industry.

And every time a wind turbine that averages 300KW breaks it takes as many people driving as many cars to fix as it does to fix a run bearing in a 300MW alternator in a conventional power station..

So only 1000 times as many people and cars and fuel involved in fixing it. Oh, and they need fixing about 10 times as often, so make that

10,000 times more.

Green jobs have to be paid for.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not really.

the average winter insolation. AVERAGE. is one tenth of the average summer insolation.

you look at the peak insolation in summer, its about 10 times that. So make that 100 times between average winter and peak summer.

multiply by 2 for cloud cover and that's 200 times less on a cloudy winter day than on a bright sunny summer one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I always wonder why the wind industry seems to think that promoting their own inefficiency (i.e. we create lots of jobs) is in some way laudable. Missing the point that energy supply should be a means to an end, and not a taxpayer funded job creation scheme.

Reply to
John Rumm

But the Left regards government as entirely there to support taxpayer funded job creation schemes, and the big corporates regard it as a tax payer funded way to ensure only their products, no matter how inefficient, is the only one that meets regulations.

If harry didn't own a Priapus (or is that Drivel) it would be a Trabant.

The radical thought that real democracy consists in leaving people who know how to make money, with the money they make - and, gasp!- letting them run businesses that also make money, because what they do is in some way valuable to other people with money, is too radically modern for the Labour Votah.

Who is essentially an unemployable unproductive tosser.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I know a lot of productive, hard workers who vote labour.

Reply to
John Williamson

In the private sector? I don't.

And productive at what?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In the private sector, yes. They're also union members.

Productive as in carrying lots of people from where they are to where they want to be at a competitive price. I'm quite possibly the only person of my pay grade in the Company that doesn't vote Labour.

Reply to
John Williamson

Nah Nah. I have just bought an electric car. In summer can charge it off my solar panels.

Reply to
harry

Well there's virtually no difference between them in most things.

Labour is just stupid and incompetant

Reply to
harry

Ah. You can remember things:-)

Reply to
harry

Ah in a government subsidised private sector. People transport.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are taxis subsidised? Are privately hired coaches subsidised? Some bus routes are, ours aren't.

I also know of lorry drivers who are productive, not subsidised, and vote labour. Some of the even own their own trucks...

Reply to
John Williamson

I thought private coach companies got a rebate of the fuel duty they pay.

Well sort of:

"local bus services" are run by private coach companies. Do they have to account for the miles/fuel they do as a "local bus service" and those that they do as a private hire coach?

Note this is not the subsidy that the local councils pay the coach companies to run the bus service in the first place.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes. It takes one of our office staff at least a day each month to sort it all out. Occasionally, HMRC do an audit, so it's got to be right.

Which we don't get, apart from having to carry holders of passes issued by the local council at a flat fare, no matter how far they go.

Reply to
John Williamson

In message , harry writes

Lucky you only have a short drive harry