New technology wind turbine for TNP

I was more concerned about whether it will ever produce more electrical energy than the energy consumed in manufacturing it before use and disposing of it after use!

But your po>

Reply to
Java Jive

You are missing the point

There are those who would say we have (purely hypothetical figures, for illustration only)

10GW Nuclear, 15GW Coal 4GW Biomass 6GW Wind

making a total of 35GW available power

This is, of course, not true - no wind and we only have 29GW available. The danger is when politicians see the first figure as reliable and factor it in to the base load calculations

Reply to
geoff

Tch tch. It's only a test device. It's the sort of thing that might be useful for electricity generation in remote places.

The first wind turbines were only a few inches in diameter.

There's a lot to be said for decentralised power generation using any means.

Reply to
harry

How can it be power when it's not generated (i.e. a lot of the time)?

Reply to
Tim Streater

He's missing the point entirely. More interesting hypothetical figures might be - since this seems to be where the Germans are heading:

20GW wind 20GW solar

so perhaps Mr Bogle could explain what happens when (a) it's nighttime and (b) there is a high pressure over Northern Europe (= no wind anywhere, so = no wind power generated).

Under those circs, total power available = 0.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes, mostly the statement 'it makes neither technical nor economic sense'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

they rely on the coal and imported French nuclear power.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tell that to the bloke on dialysis when your solar panels cloud over and he dies.

Reply to
dennis

That's his fault for not providing the required backup at his cost. Just like the windmill/PV providers don't have to foot the cost of the backup required for their windmills/PVs.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

the hidden cost of providing dispatch to an undispatchable power source.

Someone Else's Problem.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You ARE a half wit. Decentralised power systems are many small generators linked together. So if a few go out it's no big deal.

harry

So how small are the clouds in your world? You get clouded out but yoru semidetached neighbour isn't or the house across the street?

How far have you got to "transport" power to ensure that every where stays powered?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The bloke on dialysis is likely OK - he'll have specced his panels to feed his system OK on a cloudy day, and doesn't need to use it at night.

The one in the iron lung, OTOH...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Currently about 2000km. It goes dark.

I suppose 27 million UPSes/gensets won't be very green but it would come to that if 'arry has his way.

Reply to
dennis

No, but I have New Writings in SF vols 1 and 2 somewhere.

in Abebooks, about £4 but £11 shipping from US or £15 shipping from Australia

Reply to
newshound

>> Available in Abebooks, about £4 but £11 shipping from US or £15 shipping

Oops better still

to put it on my tablet!

Reply to
newshound

well a winter cloudy day is some 200 times less power than a sunny summer day..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Would be nice to get the book with all of teh stories in: "Unorthodox Engineers". But people want silly money for them; I'll have to lock mine in the safe!

(£115 seems to be the cheapest)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Clouds come in many sizes.

The advantage with local power generation is that power is mostly used locally so the transmission grid can be smaller and there are less transmission losses. The power generators don't all have to be the same sort, in fact the more diverse, the better..

Read the link on mypost and try to comprehend.

Reply to
harry

Talking from your usual position of total ignorance I see.

Reply to
harry