New GRP roof making "cracking noises"

My wife's sister has just had a large rear extension flat roof redone in glassfibre. It is making alarming cracking noises as it expands and contracts, which is rather disconcerting as their bedroom is in this extension?

Has anyone else had this happen to them, and does it eventually settle down?

Reply to
Richard Sterry

I can't bear the noise of next door's plastic guttering, I don't know how they can sleep.

I wouldn't have plastic building materials for the world ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

thermal expansion isnt something that goes away. If its dark then painting it white would reduce the probem significantly. I havent worked with fibreglass roofs so couldnt offer anything more.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Thermal expansion won't go away, that's true, but it may be that eventually the roof structure will 'settle down' and not make so much noise. On the other hand, it may not, hence my original posting!

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

IThe high coefficient of thermal expansion is one of the main reason why plastic building products are so short lived. It means that all joints have to be flexible for life - neoprene gaskets or flexible mastics etc. That creaking or cracking sound you get with plastic guttering and sheets is the sound of slowly progressing self destruction. It goes on just the same with plastic windows but with less noise.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob