Neutral cure silicone sealant wind up?

Does anyone know a non-internet sourse of neutral cure silicone sealant? In/near Glasgow? I asked in Thomas Graham and the man had clearly never heard of such a thing.

The shower trap I am fitting says to put only neutral cure silicone sealant between the flange and the shower base since acid ones can attack the flange. The flange is chrome plated plastic so this sounds like a wind up to me.

Reply to
eriqcarter

sounds

It's possible - to plate the plastic they first make it conductive with (usually) a graphite based powder, then plate a sequence of metals before ending up with the chrome, so it is possible the underlayers could be attacked. I would'nt loose sleep over it though!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Try a chandler's at one of the marinas. Neutral cure is used in boats. Won't be the cheapest place to get it though :-)

Reply to
John Weston

John Weston coughed up some electrons that declared:

Ive had some from either RS or Farnell.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

No it's not a wind up neutral cure silicone has been on the market for years.

Our local d-i-y store (North Shropshire) stocks a range of Bond It products which I find OK, Google for Bond-It.

If I remember rightly it was Dow Corning that first introduced it. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Well cat pis sure flakes the chrome off anything.

And many descalers leave it permanently discolored.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The chrome on chrome-plated plastic is incredibly easy to discolour with acids. I cleaned the scale from a shower head using "Limelite" descaler (another weak acid) a few years ago and removed some of the chrome and changed the colour of the rest in streaks. So I'd avoid all contact with acids, even descaler.

Neutral cure silicone is available easily. You can get it at Screfix for £4.10 a cartridge.

If you are happy to use a white sealant, an alternative is Evostick Nail and Seal MS-polymer sealant which is also neutral cure. That's available in B&Q. Alternatively just use any MS-polymer sealant.

Screwfix Houston Place Kinning Park Glasgow G5 8SG

Opening Hours Mon ? Fri 7am ? 8pm Sat 8am - 6pm Sun 10am - 4pm

Reply to
Steve Firth

Toolstation and Screwfix will sell it (haven't checked, but they will), or try a glaziers.

Acetoxy cure silicone gives off acetic acid as it cures, and you can remove chrome plating with acid. I guess the quantities would lead to blemishing rather than anything more drastic, but I think the recommendation is fair enough (especially from the manufacturer's pov).

Reply to
boltmail

Ask at a uPVC window place - all my new PVC windows were fitted with neutral cure.

Reply to
Huge

Many thanks for advice from all. Looks like I should take this reasonably seriously. Will head out to Screwfix - they seem to stock Dow-Corning.

Reply to
eriqcarter

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com saying something like:

It does exist - the brand I use is Sealux, to go along with their shower trays and bath seals. Pricier than ordinary stuff, but it works well.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Acetic acid can discolour polycarbonate, hence that may be the concern in the case of the trap. Do you not have a screwfix or toolstation trade outlet near you?

Reply to
John Rumm

And Toolstation is in the next street along beside Leyland Paints if SF don't have it

Reply to
fictitiousemail

Neutral cure silcones are used in electronics as well because it wont attack soldered joints.

Anyone else notice that Toolstation follows the Burger King model of site fnding BK allegedly spends 0 on site finding preferrring to move in beside MickeyDs who spend millions on site research. Not complaining just commenting, and there is a nice unit right beside SF Seafield edinburgh that would make one stop shopping so convenient.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

My local toolstation is 2 miles away from screwfix so its not likely I would notice.

Reply to
dennis