Multi Montes & N m.

Just bought some 10 x 100 Multi Montes and the enclosed (German) leaflet gives some performance data.

Table give 'maximum admissible loads'. I guess that should read 'permissible loads'?

Anywho, figures for tension load is 3.7 to 4.9 N m, shear load 7.9 N m and bending load 18.7 N m.

I always thought N m was a measure of torque so I can't get my head around these figures. Another table gives (pictorially) the torque required to screw them in as 40 N m, which I understand - impact driver or high torque drill.

Could anyone wiser than me put these figures into terms my little brain could relate to?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Looking at the leaflet in my pack of 10*140 multi-monti, tension load is 3.7-4.9 KILONEWTON and shear load 7.9-7.9 KILONEWTON (i.e. the metal of each multi-monti can take several tonnes tension or shear - assuming it's sufficiently securely locked into something. In practice I think the bearing material is likely to give out long before the multi-monti)

BENDING LOAD is 18.7 Nm i.e. if you had a metre of multi-monti sticking out of the wall, you could hang 18.7 Newtons on the end. Or

187 Newtons on 10cm protruding. Or 1870 Newtons on 1 cm. (assuming bearing material can take it etc)
Reply to
dom

Just looked at the leaflet again with a magnifying glass and it is indeed KN. Must get these spectacles changed :-)

So, one KN is roughly 100 kg. Bloody hell, that is one strong fixing!

Thanks Dom.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just reread my post - of course 1Kg = 9.81N, so should read "several hundred Kg", not "several tonnes".

Reply to
dom

What do you use to drive those in Dom?

Leaflet seems to indicate 40 N m. My Makita 14:4v driver is around 36 N m, my 12v Makita impact driver is something silly like 135 N m. That drives

6mm multi montis in effortlessly. Wonder how it would cope with 10mm?
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I put a socket on an impact driver - delivers a pretty similar torque to yours. Effortless in brickwork. Can struggle in concrete. You may have to back off and charge again etc.

I pre-drill at their recommended size (8mm from memory?) - but if I was driving a lot of them into concrete, I'd get hold of something heftier than a cordless impact driver.

Reply to
dom

I do have a Wickes/Kress High Torque Drill that I use as a mixer & to drive core drills. Reckon that would do it.

The cunning plan is to use 10 x 100 multi montis to replace 12mm shield anchors when attaching ledger plates to brick walls. I reckon it should be a lot quicker & easier, especially since washers have to go between the plate & the wall.

Thanks

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That is part of the joy of multi-monti's - it's a through fixing - get the whatever fixed with the first fixing, then you can drill through to add as many more as you want. That, and the fact that you can easily take them out again.

Reply to
dom