moving HW cyliner into the loft?

Not me your Lordship, twas a direct quote from the said web site, how much water does one need to wash up and how many children (that still require parents to bath them) have enough water in the bath to practise swimming?!...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Jerry, it is clear they don't know what they doing or saying. If you want to know thing like this ask me nicely.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Does this installation comply with regs? Unless the window doesn't open?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Re all this chat about Multipoints. I moved into a house 5 yrs ago where similar task of removing old HW cylinder and using space as a shower area done by previous owner. Following setup is in place and works a treat. They a) retained the Potterton Kingfisher for the CH and capped off HW flow and return connections; b) retained Feed and expansion tank in loft c) installed a Britony 2 multipoint for HW d) removed cold storage tank and HW cylinder. All water now off the incoming mains supply. Apart from me having to replace a diaphragm on Britony 2 about 3 years ago (=A32) the system works very well. We have got into the habit of not running another hot tap if someone in the shower cos the showere goes cold when the other tap nicks some of the hot water. However the big, big benefit is never running out of HW! I would never go back to a system of stored HW. All those arguements of who spent too long in the shower and used up all the hot! No thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Re all this chat about Multipoints. I moved into a house 5 yrs ago where similar task of removing old HW cylinder and using space as a shower area done by previous owner. Following setup is in place and works a treat. They a) retained the Potterton Kingfisher for the CH and capped off HW flow and return connections; b) retained Feed and expansion tank in loft c) installed a Britony 2 multipoint for HW d) removed cold storage tank and HW cylinder. All water now off the incoming mains supply. Apart from me having to replace a diaphragm on Britony 2 about 3 years ago (£2) the system works very well. We have got into the habit of not running another hot tap if someone in the shower cos the showere goes cold when the other tap nicks some of the hot water. However the big, big benefit is never running out of HW! I would never go back to a system of stored HW. All those arguements of who spent too long in the shower and used up all the hot! No thanks

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I am fitting a Rinnai multi-point this week. When finished I will give an update.

Reply to
timegoesby

You simply don't run out of hot water with a fast recovery cylinder. Mine will do a shower very similar to a small combi even *after* the stored water has run out. But given few will have showers *immediately* after one another but spend some time in the bathroom drying, etc, it just doesn't happen. Of course it might do with more than one bathroom, but then this applies equally to any instant system.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You do. Also he hasn't the space for a large cylinder and he doesn't want a shower pump either to shake the house down. Should he go back to having a coal boiler too? The senility is taking hold here.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

================= The original installation instructions (Worcester-Bosch - July 1994) state,

"Minimum siting dimensions for positioning the balanced flue terminal - directly below an openable window or other opening e.g. air brick - 300mm (12")".

The distance from top of flue to bottom of openable window in my kitchen is 3' 6" ( about 1.07 metre) so it's well within the prescribed regulations at the time of installation. I doubt if it's changed very much since that time, so I think it's definitely OK even if standards have changed.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

No I don't. You as usual know nothing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes of course you are.

So that means both timegoesby, Dribble, and your other clones (particularly the new one you created in the past few days) will be too busy to post on here in the meantime.

Utter bliss.

Reply to
Matt

Thanks for that Dr. I will check out the Rinnai as its a one I've not heard of. At present all is ok but you never know!

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Thanks for that Dr. I will check out the Rinnai as its a one I've not heard of. At present all is ok but you never know!

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Cicero wrote: To

Multipoints were yesterdays product. The market penetration IME is extremely low, ie, the customers don't like them and most have moved on to better products!!

If you do not have a good flow rate from your water/gas main, filling a bath is an extremely long process. If you want a quick/cheap kitchen sink water heater, then a multipoint has some use, temporarily, whilst it still works.

Water/electricity supply failures are now commonplace in most towns and urban areas, hence stored supplies are better.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

------------------------------ Multipoints are still very much alive and are the preferred means of water heating for many satisfied users. Judging by your other experiences your knowledge of the customer base is not very impressive. There are many retailers still selling multipoints both to new users and as replacements.

==================

---------------------------

I stated in my first post that flow rates might not compare with other water heaters although an example of a modern high flow heater was provided by another poster. The fact is that you have chosen to be selective in your example of bath filling. The fact is that many people (myself included) find that they provide a very satisfactory shower amonst other uses.

You suggest again that multipoints are short-lived. The truth is that many people provide evidence to the contrary (upto 27 years in this thread) which suggests that your knowledge is based on very small experience of these heaters.

--------------------------

=================== I don't know what evidence you have (if any) for your assertion that water and electricity supply failures are 'commonplace'. The fact is that the vast majority of households in this country suffer from such failures so rarely that they would find it difficult to remember when they occurred. I would certainly bet that I haven't suffered failure of either water or electricity more than half a dozen times in the past twenty years and that must be the same experience of most of the people living in my city.

As I pointed out previously, stored water is nothing more than a stopgap in the event of failure - probably enough for less than a few hours. And since most multipoints don't use electricity they're not affected by power failures.

Reply to
Cicero

This one is clearly barking.

Reply to
timegoesby

Why would you want to have an additional boiler - assuming you have central heating - just to do the hot water? It makes no sense.

Unless you're Drivel, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Cicero" saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That's because your storage system was crap.

My storage based system filled a 750 litre birthing pool to 40C without running out, although the outlet temperature did eventually drop to 40C from

60C at the beginning (indicating that usefully stored energy had been exhausted) and it took 41 minutes. Approximately half the energy in the pool would have been stored and the other half converted during the fill. A similar 28kW combi would have taken considerably longer.

My system could run a very decent powerful shower indefinitely without ever running out. It could run 3 weak (i.e. similar to electric) showers without ever running out.

It could run two bath simulataneously at a very high rate without running out. (I don't have two baths, though!)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

So what is the size of this wonder cylinder that never runs out??

Jim

Reply to
Jim