Venting upstairs bathroom into loft.

Hi, doing some bathroom work, there is currently no extractor fan.
Do I need one? If not, should I fit one anyway? Can I just vent it into the loft? If not, how should it vent?
I am not a fan of the "fan on for 20 minutes just because I took a piss" type, so it will be on a manual switch outside the bathroom for use when needed.
Thanks.
--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail /

MarkG wrote:

It sounds that you need a fan to meet building regs. But if you are fitting one then it must ventilate to outside and not into the loft.
--
Adam

ARWadsworth wrote:

Indeed. Venting steam into a loft with cold surfaces and timbers[1] is worse than leaving the steam in the bathroom.
[1] In winter, it will condense, be loath to dry out and cause rot.
--
Tim Watts

I was just thinking that, I have no fan, but from experience of a neighbours one that does go to the loft, a alot of dust comes in that way and it all sticks to the paint and tiles after a while, and probably wet bodies as well!
Brian
From the sofa of Brian Gaff -
snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk
On 08/08/2012 08:16, Brian Gaff wrote:

Ours vents through trunking in the loft and out via the soffit. No non-return flap so occasionally we get a draught down from it and a little of our dust back.
As long as the local birds cannot get in that way of course!
Brian
On 09/08/2012 06:08, Brian Gaff wrote:

There is a grille at the exit through the soffit. Hopefully the local mice will not chew through the trunking!
On Wednesday, 8 August 2012 08:16:30 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

If it's vented outdoors, and you don't live in Avonmouth, then it shouldn't be catching dust. Check that the flexi hose inside the loft isn't torn.
There should also be a non-return flap valve, because the wind will try to blow back down it at times. If this is mounted on the soffit at the exhaust fitting, and you're still getting dust, then that really does suggest a torn pipe in the loft.
Luckily its not mine... My bathroom is quite old and still has just an air brick.
Brian
On 07/08/2012 21:25, MarkG wrote:

They would be a standard fit to be building regs compliant these days. However "need" depends a bit on how the room is used. Baths only, and you might get away without. However high pressure shower etc, and you probably do need one.
What other ventilation is there in there?

If you think it would be worthwhile.

Absolutely not. Last thing you need is a rotten roof structure.

Outside - either through the wall, a window, or ducted up through the loft and out of the eves.

Or fit a humidistat controlled one. Then it only runs when its damp enough in there to need it.
--
Cheers,

John.

A fan is a good idea but must be vented externally. You can get fans with humidistats that will only run for as long as needed rather than for a preset period.
Tim
On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 22:01:27 +0100, Tim+

Looking at this. Seem OK?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IN-LINE-BATHROOM-SHOWER-EXTRACTOR-FAN-LOFT-MOUNT-KIT-4-/180610009210?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item2a0d32087a
--

On 10/08/2012 22:55, MarkG wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IN-LINE-BATHROOM-SHOWER-EXTRACTOR-FAN-LOFT-MOUNT-KIT-4-/180610009210?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item2a0d32087a
Yup fine. Control if from
--
Cheers,

John.

On 10/08/2012 23:24, John Rumm wrote:

Grrr (poxy PS/2 to USB keyboard adaptor keeps lathing control key!)
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BGREMHM.html
and you will have a nice quite and effective system that only runs when needed.
--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Dingley wrote:

I have yet to see a PIR that can decide if you are having a shit or a piss:-)
And the OP did say he did not want the fan to come one when he was just having a piss.
--
Adam

A humidistat should be OK for either unless you have particularly messy habits.
MBQ
On 2012-08-08, Man at B&Q wrote:

In that case, you probably should ventilate the room quite a lot.
Man at B&Q wrote:

Is it? The OP does not want the fan to extract the steam from his piss:-)
--
Adam