Mounting a plaster cast head

A friend has a very nice plaster cast mask (one of the Three Graces) which he wants to mount on a bronze shaft (abut 20mm dia.)on a wooden base. The mask is about 250mm high and is hollow at the back. I take it is plaster of paris. We discussed various ways of attaching the shaft and cross bracing it but weren't sure what would stick metal to the plaster. Anybody help please. One thought would be to hold the shaft in place in some way and just fill the cavity with foam.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

Car body filler.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lol. Have you watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding? Windex?

I must admit, it is very useful stuff, and would probably work pretty well for this.

Reply to
Grunff

If the back of the mask is un-glazed and rough then you can get some wet soggy plaster and dip cotton bandages in it. Then make a couple of wraps around the shaft first about the same length as the mask, and allow to set off a bit (an hour or so). Then lay the mask backside up and put the shaft along the length. Dip the bandages in the soggy plaster and lay them across the shaft and press well down on to the mask. Around five or six layers should do it. Trim off any excess around the edges once completely dry and bob should be mothers brothers. One mask stuck tightly to a pole.

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks guys - plaster is probably best. Cataloy is all very well but I wouldn't want to get involved with something that is so permanent it might damage the mask.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham