Moss on roof tiles...how to kill and remove it

Got a problem of moss growing around the edges of roof tiles. Roof resembles a mini forest.... The moss grows in a cone shape which can reach 2" high. It also seems to chip the tile edges away.

What product can I spray on the tile to kill the moss completely? Needs to be in concentrate liquid so can use the pressure washer for reach.

I know Jeves fluid works well. Were can it be bought in bulk?

Will domestic 28sec heating kerosene do the same job without damaging the red terracotta type tiles?

Any advice would be most helpful.

TAI

Reply to
Biscuit

Just stretch a piece of bare copper wire across the roof above the level of the moss (or even just below the apex). The minute quantity of copper which gets dissolved and washed down with the rainwater will stop all moss and lichen growning in its path.

However, you'll have to find a different excuse for playing with your mains powered water pistol outdoors...

I would imagine you could recover most of the tiles from the smoldering ashes and clean off the soot, but that seems rather extreme...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

"Biscuit" wrote | Got a problem of moss growing around the edges of roof tiles. Roof | resembles a mini forest.... | The moss grows in a cone shape which can reach 2" high. It also | seems to chip the tile edges away. | What product can I spray on the tile to kill the moss completely? | Needs to be in concentrate liquid so can use the pressure washer for reach.

One of the Bad Tradesman programmes recently showed the damage pressure washers can do to roof tiles. I'd suggest caution.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Biscuit" wrote | Got a problem of moss growing around the edges of roof tiles. Roof | resembles a mini forest.... | The moss grows in a cone shape which can reach 2" high. It also | seems to chip the tile edges away. | What product can I spray on the tile to kill the moss completely? | Needs to be in concentrate liquid so can use the pressure washer for reach.

I don't see what damage the moss is causing. Sycamore setting roots in it might do some damage before the severe aridity got to them.

You burn a mixture of wood and coal and live near trees if I am any judge of ecology. There is nothing finer for the garden than a man who burns fossil fuels. Well done. Make sure that your gutters are cleaned regularly though, as detritus -or soil build up rather, will cause blockages and that is where the damage is done.

What insulation do you have in the roof?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Brings back memories of a hot August week about 4 years ago. Standing right at the top of a ladder, feet level with the gutters, using three broom handles lashed together with gaffer tape with a hoe head at the end, to prise the moss lumps off the tiles. Let it bake in the sun to dry the mud to dust then swap the hoe for a brush and sweep it all off. A very unpleasant job but all the tiles are intact and so far the moss hasn't returned.

Reply to
Jim Hatfield

Moss increases the acidity of rainwater running down the roof and over time this severely damages leadwork and other metals. Also frozen wet moss damages concrete roof tiles.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor