mispronounced DIY terminology

Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest. If only I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have no more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation clangers ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I have heard "ceiling" pronounced as "skeeling", by a roofing company rep.

Conduit prondounced "condoot" by a sparky.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Heighth.

Reply to
Scion

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Blimey -- I've seen that so many times, I always assumed that it was a technical building term what I, a mere punter, didn't know about (even though I knew it was referring to the things I always referred to as "sills").

A bit like the use of "x off" (as in "oakwood cills 2 off") (or even "2 of", which I've seen recently), instead of "2 oakwood sills". I presume that that usage originated in the factories / smithies / joineries, where the tradesman was given an order for 'x' number of widgets off his lathe (or whatever), and that it spread from there to the warehouses. (or is it "off the shelf"? Nah - that wouldn't make sense.)

Sigh: You can tell it's pouring down outside, can't you :-)

John

Reply to
Another John

both are correct

Reply to
NT

A bit off topic- I used to be in fire protection. I had a sign written van. Two people walked past my van, one said to the other "Fire protection, how do you protect a fire"?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I just assumed that it was one of those either/or alternatives such as jail/gaol

On checking, I see that it isn't

tim

Reply to
tim....

Quick Google (because I've seen it spelled both ways!):

cill

A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture | 2000 | JAMES STEVENS CURL | 547 words | © A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture 2000, originally published by Oxford University Press 2000. (Hide copyright information) Copyright cill, or sill, sole, sule.

  1. Horizontal timber (usually called a cill-beam, ground-cill, or sole-piece or -plate) at the bottom of a timber-framed wall into which posts and studs are tenoned. A cill-wall is a low wall of brick or stone supporting the cill-beam. In timber-framed construction, an interrupted cill runs between main posts and is tenoned into them.

  1. Lower horizontal projecting element below an aperture (e.g. doorway or window), to throw water off the wall below.

  2. Lower horizontal member of a door-or window-frame.
Reply to
Ret.

more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation clangers ?

My mates missus rang once to say "Bob says can he borrow your Ankle Grinder"?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

For some reason, 'cill' is standard for canal locks (at least in some areas).

Reply to
Adam Funk

no more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation clange= rs ?

I was criticised yesterday for pronouncing wenge wen-gee instead of wenj.

Wonkipedia agrees with me.

(Which is more than assembling Tesco Wenge flat-pack does.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You allocate it a Fire guard of course.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation clangers ?

I'd have automatically pronounced it Ven-ge, with the German hard G. Then again, I do speak German...

I've just had to put an Argos TV stand together, which was annoying for the ten minutes it took, and still looks cheap.

Reply to
John Williamson

Both allowable spellings.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is. The original spelling is cill, but sill is an allowable excursion.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And the lintel/lintol variation?

And the umpteen batten/baton/ variations.

I suppose we should end up in Mournington Cressent?

Reply to
polygonum

more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation clangers ?

I have heard a number of folks refer to "Harris rail" - assuming that the H must have been dropped from "Aris"...

Reply to
John Rumm

more space problems. Anyone got any

You're talking out your 'arris ;-)

Reply to
Nick Leverton

Blast, all of those years and I was wasting my time.

Reply to
Mr Pounder