metal flue liner for gas fire - how important?

My house has a chimney breast with no liner. It is concrete block construction. I'd like to install a gas fire in the fireplace. How essential is a metal flue liner, and why?

Thanks...

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Its mandatory for building control and insurance.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cite please

Reply to
fred

In article , AL_n writes

It's a relatively new[1] requirement, I have a couple of gas fires here that aren't in lined flues. In a soft stone chimney there is a risk of acid condensation eating at the stone and there is the risk of flue leakage. Having a flue size matched to the appliance can also improve the draw and guarantee that the fire will pass a combustion products spill test.

In a block built chimney in good condition that was not going to be inspected I might consider leaving it without a liner but I would make sure that it passed the spill test by a large margin w/o one.

On the other hand, if it's a short chimney then it's no big deal to pull one down, 2quid a metre for a basic liner.

[1] 30yrs
Reply to
fred

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:j2imhp$p20$2 @news.albasani.net:

Nonsense!

There is no reulation/requirment to have a metal flue liner fitted for a gas fire.

If the chimney is constructed of non combustable material then provided it is in good condition then it may be used.

Heliotrope Smith

"AL_n" wrote in news:Xns9F456A9D7D556zzzzzz@

130.133.4.11:

A metal/flexible liner is not essential provided your chimney is in good working condition.

Depending on the type of gas fire you want to fit a liner of up to seven inch diameter would be required.

If it is precast flue block construction the it would be very difficult to get any size of liner down it.

Heliotrope Smith