MCB trips

On 5 Jan 2006 09:59:38 -0800 someone who may be "bob" wrote this:-

That sounds unlikely, unless there are unusual factors like it passes through high temperature zones and/or thermal insulation and the installer decided to reduce the rating of the protective device rather than increase the cable size.

How do you know it is a ring? Who installed it and what do they know about electricity?

You are, but there are a few things to beware of. Most sockets on a radial circuit can appear to be on a ring (as there will be two cables connected to each terminal). If there are two cables connected to the protective device that can mean there are at least two branches of a radial circuit from the origin. If the type of circuit is not marked then the combination of protective device rating and cable size is a good indication of the type of circuit.

Reply to
David Hansen

The trip curve for a 20A type B MCB as shown in Fig 3.4 of BS7671 indicates a disconnect time of approx 200 seconds for a 39A load. So that would suggest it is behaving as you would expect in the circumstance.

Reply to
John Rumm

Everything tells me we can not assume this. A 20A supply to a kitchen isnt right The OP's been doing wiring, but knows not a lot about the subject (39A on adaptors etc)

I dont want to offer the OP any advice at all, the whole situation is far too uncertain. Some people just arent able to describe things.

It all reminds me of someone who said yes the computer shows the windows desktop, only to find it was unable to even boot to DOS.

NT

Reply to
meow2222