Marking tape removal

What is the best way of removing baked on masking tape?
The tape has been stuck to glass for a year. The tape pulls off but leaves the glue stuck to the glass.
How can I remove the glue without scratching?
sPoNiX

Sticky stuff remover - available from betterware, I have also seen it in Robert Dyas and Lakeland
Angela

White spirit?
Mark

Warm soapy water and a cloth.

If the glue was water soluble, wouldn't the rain remove it?
--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

Dave Plowman wrote:

If rain contained soap, wouldn't we all be nice and clean?
:-)
Cheers,
Andy

If you think I'm going out in the paddock in a howling gale and driving rain with an air temp just above 0C (so it is rain not snow) with nothing on you can think again!
Of course for you the southern wussies where it never gets below 5C and three wet snow flakes cause traffic chaos things may be different. B-)
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

When all else fails with sticky residues and label glues I find that lighter fluid normally shifts things. May well do the same for masking tape adhesive.
-- Richard Sampson
S P O N I X wrote:

A bit of white spirit, and a sharp stanley knife blade used with a scraping action (so the blade is almost parallel to the glass surface, like you're shaving).
--
Grunff

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:22:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (S P O N I X) wrote:

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
(S P O N I X)

I have found Meths tends not to work.
Use Paraffin to remove the residue, then meths to remove the paraffin .
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Hmm. I've not had a problem. Perhaps it depends on the type of adhesive.....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

It will do - on the whole, most tape/lable adhesives fall into two groups; those soluble in non-polar solvents (white spirit/light oils etc), and those soluble in polar solvents (meths, isopropanol etc.).
My strategy is to try a polar solvent, and if it doesn't work try a non polar one.
--
Grunff

(S P O N I X)

it was some time ago and the tape was on wood, to be fair. I posted the question here having tried meths and someone responded with the paraffin/meths combination which worked a treat.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

WD40 worked fine for me after I'd left masking tape on the front window for too long.
Rob.
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:22:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (S P O N I X) wrote:

Start with a house brick, then follow up with a new sheet of glass, some putty, and some blue-tinged air.
PoP
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:22:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (S P O N I X) wrote:

Cant help you with the tape problem but wear heavy mitts and that will prvent damage to your skin when you scratch :-) Stuart
--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:53:59 +0000, Stuart

LOL!