Making an external door blank

I'm thinking of making a door for an external wood building. Just a simple flat door.

Internal frame with ply on both faces.

I could use an external door blank but they are expensive and a bit heavy for this application.

I'm wondering what wood to use for the frame, what glue to use and what thickness ply to use.

I have access to a good table saw and planer thicknesser.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Roy

Reply to
Roy Brophy

Bad idea for an exterior door. Get a second hand solid door, there are businesses about that recover doors etc from demolition sites. You can easy make them bigger with bits of wood, nails and glue if nec. I get all my solid doors second hand bought some crackers for ?20 cw georgian wired glass window. (Fire door between house and garage.)

Try and get one with the hinges attached & save even more money.

Reply to
harryagain

Thanks for the response Harry. I'm going to do the rounds of the reclaimati on yards this week.

Sorry for the slow response - I didn't get any email notification. I really don't understand what's going on with the email notifications. I have them turned off except for stuff I have subscribed to. However I get lots of no tifications, mainly for OT posts - but nothing for post I have made! Hmm... anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, Roy

Reply to
Roy Brophy