Mains motors in the workshop

Don't know if this will help or not. TS 43-58 is the "motor frame number". Just a spec that can be referenced for; bolt hole spacing, distance from shaft centerline to bottom of frame, housing length etc.

Rating Cont.. Is just the "duty cycle". It can be run continuosly at it's rated output without cooking itself.

If you multiply the Amps X Volts you'll get the Wattage. As you can see your new motor is only about one-half as strong as your old motor.

Old evaporative coolers (swamp coolers) are a good source for the type of motor your're describing, as are clothes dryers. I don't know if you guys use evap coolers over there, as I'm in the US.

Reply to
cbruce

If there is no sign of damage/ burnt windings on the motor, then I would guess that it is the starting capacitor which has failed.

The grinder motor which you bought to try to replace it, doesn't have anything like as much torque as the capacitor start motor you had - hence its difficulty at startup.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

thats a new one on me, how does that work?

not so

unfortunately no, theyre no use in our climate. Drier motors are also no use, for a different reason.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It would only be dangerous if you did something really stupid like wind the string round your finger. Its a standard method of starting generators. The main point of the string test is to see if you have some kind of starting fault but it runs ok once its got some speed. Its far quicker and easier than taking it apart, still not knowing if it'll work aftewards.

Secondarily, it also gives you an immediately working system you can do your glasswork on.

Testing the motor does not 'weaken' the insulation, as long as you dont leave it powered stallled for long enough to start to burn.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I can't believe that you got so many replies for a thread about a motor that has obviously seen better decades.

Why on earth you thought youy could replace it with the tiny little thing required to spin a grinding wheel is beyond me. Get another motor, or have that one rewound.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

It's probably manufacturer-specific magic smoke that's needed though - generic smoke simply isn't good enough.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I did take it apart this morning - all surprisingly easy - just undo the four long bolts and the two end caps came off, complete with bearings, and the rotor slid out.

Far too easy !

The centrifugal switch seemed to be operating OK - so I treated the contacts to a bit of attentions with some wet and dry paper, then a quick squirt of contact cleaner - and - lo and behold - on reassembling it everything worked first time !!

Brilliant !

Fair enough - now I just have to think of a reason why I need three grinders !

Thinking about it - one would be very handy as the 'power souce' behind a flexible drive thingy that would take little grindstones, wire-brushes etc - must do some looking around..... more toys !

Thanks all

Adrian

======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Actually - some good news !

Took the motor apart (surprisingly easy !) - and cleaned the contacts on the centrifugal switch. Didn't think to take an electrical measurement 'before' - but after cleaning the resistance changed as the switch closed ....

A couple of updated photos of the innards at

case anybody's interested...

Reassembled the thing and it fired up 1st time - grrrrrreeeat !

Many thanks for the advice - looks like we're back in business

Adrian

======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Doh ! - hadn't thought of that.....

Adrian ======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Because there are lots of helpful people about....?

Or fix it - with the help and advice of the aforementioned helpful people......?

Thanks for your input

Adrian ======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

good job, another 40 years of service coming up.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Lord no ! - I wanna retire before then

Can't play with the saw-grinder now - been press-ganged into weeding the polytunnel !

Thanks Adrian ======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Glad you got it going again. I was pretty sure that was the problem, but was waiting for the post "The switch is in pieces, where can I get a new one from?" !!!

Reply to
Tim Morley

Is this another case of newness disease? That motor is the best option in all every respect.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Who all enjoyed doing so with the thought that it will be their turn next time to ask a questiona and get a thread full of replies (I hope - always the bridsmaid with just one posting and no answers!)

Rob

Reply to
robgraham