lv transformer question

Hi,

I have a transformer that runs two 10w G4 light fittings. The transformer has a small 5-way connector block built into it. It has 20W written on the side. It looks much like the following one which claims to be an 105w model:

possibly stupid question is, is my transformer likely to be rated at

20w in total or 20w per output, i.e. 100w intotal? Now given that there are 5 possible connections that can be made to it it would seem unlikely that it is expected to power 5 lamps at 4w... or am i being too hopeful? The reason that i am asking is that I would like to uprate the G4 bulbs to 20w each.

Thanks

Reply to
GMC

My possibly stupid question is, is my transformer likely to be rated at

The *total* max load should be marked on it somewhere. Because it is externally the same as another doesn't mean much. So if it says 20w that is the maximum.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmm, the only rating in watts on the transformer is 20w. I just find it hard to imagine that a 5 way transformer would be rated so poorly, I mean do 4w bulbs even exist???

Cheers

Reply to
GMC

> My possibly stupid question is, is my transformer likely to be rated at

The item in you Toolstation link looks like a switching type power supply. Thermal overload and short circuit protected are a bit of a give-away. I guess they are called "transformers" for historical reasons.

If yours is also of the switched type, it's obviously older and may well be the same size for a much reduced output.

Reply to
Fredxx

I have several different LED transformers which have different power ratings, but are all housed in identical boxes, with identical connectors, probably because it isn't worth the hassle of manufacturing slightly different boxes for each variant. The 5 connectors are probably only be there to allow higher rated models to make use of them.

dan.

Reply to
dent

ok, so it is realistic that it is indeed a 20w TOTAL that the transformer is capable of! I will buy an uprated model to suit my requirement.

Thanks for all of the answers.

Reply to
GMC