Looking for very long ladder (or similar)

A very long ladder could be made much stiffer in bending by installing a steel cable or two on the underside, attached at the ends (and tensioned) and offset from the centre of the ladder by running over a sturdy well-triangulated standup.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Build a cable stay bridge with a series of wires running from a high point either side to each rung?

Build an inverted arched bridge with a cable tensioned underneath and ridged vertical drops below the bridge to the cable.

Reply to
dennis

Sounds like someone has been playing with Bridgebuilder. ;-). The inverted arch cable design is usually very cost effective.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

What's bridgebuilder?

Reply to
dennis

A very long ladder could be made much stiffer in bending by installing a steel cable or two on the underside, attached at the ends (and tensioned) and offset from the centre of the ladder by running over a sturdy well-triangulated standup.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Why does poster not give a hint on what for? then he would get answers pertinent instead of miles of guessing?

Reply to
F Murtz

A game for mobile devices where you build bridges within price and materials limitations.

Reply to
Tim+

Ah, I googled and found a site with a game from 2003, but I wasn't going to download the exe to see what it did. I will have a look on android.com.

Reply to
dennis

On Friday 15 November 2013 14:35 Nick wrote in uk.d-i-y:

scaffolders usually use these when spanning a gap:

Could you hire/buy some with some clamps? These are purpose made to take load the way you want (used on edge obviously).

Reply to
Tim Watts