Looking for quick/easy to connect terminals

I'm looking for some connectors for connecting bare wires to a power supply. It's low voltage so they don't have to be finger safe (5 volts and 12 volts). Current will probably be up to a few amps (e.g. 5 or 6 amps).

I'd like something quicker/easier to use than screw terminal posts. They will be on a vertical panel and finding the hole to push the wire into always seems difficult to me especially as there's rarely anything to guide the wire into the hole.

Spring loaded loudspeaker wire connectors are a possibility but these too seem to suffer ftrom the lack of a way to guide the wire into the hole.

I think my ideal would be something like a big Wago lever connector.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reply to
cl

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net submitted this idea :

Cheap, cheerful and easy...

Two end to end choc block connectors, with a bit of 2.5 solid wire linking them. Undo one screw on the 2.5mm and they part and reconnect easily. It works for multiple wires, making it easy to disconnect and reconnect quickly and no concerns about mixing the wires up or getting them in the wrong order.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

So what's wrong with using wago 222's? They handle 32A@230V, so they'll handle 6A@12V

Reply to
Andy Burns

Banana plugs?? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

It needs a screwdriver though I assume. I really want something that can be done with just my hands.

Reply to
cl

The problem (if there is one) is that they're rather difficult to fix securely so that the levers are easy to operate.

Reply to
cl

Not bare wire, I have to wire the plugs onto the wires.

Reply to
cl

You can get a 'block' to fix them to DIN rail, if that's any help, they do seem to enclose the levers though, so maybe not of use ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Spade connectors. You can get busbars of them. Easiest source is a car wiring place like Vehicle Wiring Products.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bigger bananna plugs

Adam Aglionby

In message , snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net writes

Fahnestock clips, or connectors? Slightly fiddly, but fine for low voltages and no tools required.

Reply to
News

crimped on bullet and socket terminals?

Reply to
ed

Yes, I have some of those, quite a neat solution for Wago connectors in some situations but, as you say, not a lot of help for this particular use.

Reply to
cl

The whole point is that I want to *easily* connect bare wires from half-built bits of electronics that I'm testing. Having to put banana plugs on the wires destroys the object of the exercise, I might as well wire up any sort of plug that's convenient to make the connection.

Reply to
cl

Aaaaarrggghhhh!!!! :-)

It's not just ease of connecting and removing I'm after. This is for testing bits of electronics I'm building. I want to avoid the time used to put (temporary) connectors of some sort on the wires from the item being tested as, almost always, they will have to come off again when it's installed in a box or whatever.

Typically I will have a bit of Veroboard with some components on that will, ultimately, end up behind an instrument panel in my boat. When in the boat it will probably be powered by a pair of wires going to Wago connectors or possibly crimped terminals on screws. I want a way to power it temporarily at home on the bench.

Yes, I *could* crimp a couple of 1/4" spade connectors on the wires and have a PSU with blades to push them onto (I have some things wired that way on the boat) but I'd have to cut the crimped connectors off again after testing.

Reply to
cl

I had to Google search to find what they are, but yes, the best solution so far. That's the idea! :-)

Any other similar devices out there?

Reply to
cl

There was a design of 13A plug around, which probably was not compliant wit h the BS. This had a snap top and three little metal hinged lids over the t erminals, (it was intended for quick connection).

Reply to
ed

Sounds similar to a Safeblock? Same sort of thing but you'd usually have it bench mounted. Opening the cover disconnects the mains safely, and there are spring terminals for the mains wires. Very useful. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My bench power supply has screw terminals fitted. They can be a bit fiddly to wire to, though.

There are loudspeaker terminals that have a spring loaded connector for bare wires if it's only low voltage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have occasionally seen them elsewhere, but, at least for me, far and away the most common application is with old Marx toy trains, so you're forgiven having to Google :-) Slightly more seriously, they're cheap and cheerful, and they just work.

Reply to
News