Quick question - threaded terminals

Acquired a little powerchair for SWMBO over the weekend. Unfortunately the seller had "helped out" with an "improvement to take the cheaper batteries".

On inspection at home, it seems the "fix" was to chop whatever terminals were fitted to the wiring in the battery box, and affix some crimp terminals to take UPS-type batteries. I deduced this was his fix when two terminals came off when I tried to fit some of my batteries.

However I have confirmed the thing works, so it's worth putting in the correct batteries, which appear to be

and which come with "threaded terminal".

My question is, does the battery come with the screw to go into the terminal, and the connector I need to replace the bodged ones will be a ring type ? Or do I need the screw bit to go into the battery as well ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Jethro_uk formulated on Monday :

Usually the screws will come with the batteries, but they will be a standard thread available anywhere.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

So I'll need to fix circular washer-type connectors onto the wires in the battery box ... properly.

Thanks to the internet I have the parts and user manual. But they show the battery box as a complete unit.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

To crimp high current ring terminals correctly, you need the correct crimp tool. And they ain't cheap. If the tails can be removed easily, might be worth getting the terminals crimped on by someone who has the correct tool. This really applies to all crimp terminals.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Solder ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I wonder if Torberry connectors will work ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yes - although soldering large terminals to thick wire can't be done with the average electronic soldering iron. A small blowlamp is probably the best bet. But probably not on the scooter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wouldn't that be a situation where soldering might be the easiest option?

Reply to
Windmill

Yes it's an option. The snag being soldering large terminals to thick cable may be beyond the capability of the average tool box. I use a jewellers blowlamp for this - but that could be a problem in confined spaces or close to anything flammable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hadn't thought of that, probably because in addition to my little Antex I've got a 160 watt iron and a 500 watt behemoth which runs on 110V (dates back to my days in Canada).

Reply to
Windmill

As I suspected the batteries were delivered _sans_ bolts.

Turning the garage upside down revealed (as I suspected) that I didn't have suitable bolts anywhere.

Turns out they are M5 ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I ordered some Torberry connectors (from Torberry - delivered today) and cut the terminals off and terminal-block joined them (appropriately rated) back into the loom. There's enough physical space inside the battery box to allow this.

Just have to wait to pop out to buy some bolts to fix them to the batteries.

I notice Torberry offer a custom crimping service :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk