Looking for plastic 'push-on' Tap tops

I have a couple of taps in my kitchen which have push-on plastic tops. They push down onto splines on the adjuster which is about 1/4 inch diameter.

We are shortly to fit a new kitchen so I don't want to renew the taps just yet. The plastic splines inside the old tap tops are worn and therefore slip. I have wrapped PVC tape around the splines but this only lasts for a week or so before the slipping starts again and indeed one of the tops has now cracked..

Does anyone know of a source of plastic push on tops? I guess there are many sizes so it may not be possible to obtain such a low cost item.

Thanks.

R.

Reply to
Rufus Stone

Next to impossible - believe me I tried all over when my garage washbasin ones did the same, resorted to an adjustable spanner until I found two new tap valves and new chromed brass caps were about a tenner from one of the sheds (b&q?)

Reply to
Dom

I bought these a long time ago for a bath, but they came with a new screw-in valve body too, not just the tap knob. I don't know if the knurled top is standard enough for people to sell just the knob. One reason it might have failed is if the valve body has got stiff or the washer gone hard so you need a lot of force to turn it off, both of which are fixed by buying a new valve body too. In my case, the thread had worn out, causing the tap to jump back on when you tried turning it off, and the new knobs sigificantly improved the look of the bathroom too at the time.

I think they might have come from B&Q, but I don't have a clear recollection now. They were referred to as tap repair kits, or some such.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If you're replacing the taps soon anyway then you could just be brutal and use araldite .... just don't expect to do any further maintenance in the future.

Reply to
Mike Hall