Plastic pin covers on 13A plug tops

Why do all electrical appliances sold with 13A plugtops have plastic protectors on the pins?

It seems near-criminal to throw away such beautiful plastic mouldings, but I can't think of a use for them. Has anyone?

Reply to
Autolycus

reminds me of the little plastic table that you get on top of a take away pizza to stop the box touching the pizza.

Reply to
Scott

Machine gun clips on small scale model guns?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Going on my "new job" to stop them smashing or damaging the items they are supplied with to some extent. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

I think to stop the pins scratching the appliance in transit.

Well, they're probably recyclable if you have a recycle collection service.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Keep them for next time you go on your travels

The information contained in this post may not be published in, or used by

raden

Sometimes that provides an alternative course to the funny painted cardboard thing underneath ;)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

separate into three parts and use them for capping sharp items in your tool bag (small auger drills etc).

Reply to
John Rumm

we give ours to the cat

hours of fun batting it around the hard floors

Reply to
goblle

Best fun to be had with ours is using a laser pointer... its like remote control kitty ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Because all of the leads with it come from an enormous factory 4 hours north of Shanghai where somebody once complained of the brass they were using was tarnishing before it got to the customer. This was their solution. They make millions of these leads a week and so the cost per unit of the plastic is very low, but I agree it's a total waste.

Reply to
G&M

I understood this was to overcome a design fault - whilst inserting the plug it is possible to hold it in such a way that your fingers will be touching the pins when the pins make contact with the metal sockets inside. The continental sockets have the socket holes sunk into the body of the socket assembly, so there is no way it is possible to have your fingers anywhere near the pins as they get inserted into the holes.

Reply to
Marcus Foreman

Your talking at cross porpoises. Plugs often have the top part of the live and neutral pins insulated for exactly the reason you state, but that is entirely separate from the use of plastic protectors which cover all the pins and have to be removed befor the plug can be used. It seems rather over the top just to prevent tarnishing - surely a much thinner peelable plastic coating would be a lot cheaper?

Some are line that, but by no means all.

Reply to
Richard Porter