Looking for a laser toner vacuum cleaner

Hi,

Today I had a small very minor toner spill (the volume of a two penny piece) to sort out today inside my laser printer, so after heading all the advice about not using a domestic vacuum cleaner - I threw caution to the wind, selected SWMBO's least favorite bagless vacuum cleaner and hoovered it up. No drama there, no explosions, no redecorating required, nothing. Then again, that cleaner is soon off to the dump for basically being pathetic.

However looking forward, this is probably one of the things fate says I won't get away with next time. I've been looking at the price of 'laser service toner vacuum cleaners' and also have a need for something that can clean up dust without creating a lot of static electricity in the process, this is for electronics hardware I repair.

3M sell a toner cleaner that would be suitable, but for the price! 3M - 497ABF - VACUUM, TONER £277.42 plus VAT
much cheaper options out there that someone is satisfied with?
Reply to
Adrian C

't know how much, but highly reccommend the company.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Adrian,

I simply adapted an obsolete furniture cleaning tool that fitted an old vacuum cleaner I use in the workshop to do similar jobs that require a bit of delicacy, by inserting and sealing a length of 3/8" tube into the narrowed end of the tool (a piece of around a foot is ideal for my jobs).

This has worked a treat on cleaning jobs on computers, inaccessible areas of bits of machinery etc - but it can only be used for a short time (about 5 minutes or so) as the restricted air flow causes the cleaners thermostatic cut-out switch to operate.

I believe that you are able to buy such a tool which is used for cleaning behind radiators etc - the last time I saw one was in the local Lidl store a while back.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I suspect Adrian is more concerned by the back-end, as toner is allegedly capable of slipping through ordinary filters and recirculating into air.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Bear in mind that those TOL's will get weaker each time they trip, eventually failing completely. If you use a 'wet & dry' vac, the cooling is independant of the airflow.

Numatic certainly used to do such a tool, don't know if they still do.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I imagine a water filter would work, and be quite easy to cobble together.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

In article , Adrian C writes

Nah, you're being over-cautious. Just use one with good filters, e.g. a Dyson with HEPA filters.

The caution comes from the days when toner was carbon-based and thus conductive, nowadays it's mostly plastic.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

If I spill toner I just use a damp J-cloth.

Reply to
GB

The motors in most consumer vac cleaners can run at least as hot as a laser fuser ...so both types of toner can be destructive.

Professional vacs with a bypass type motor are far less susceptical to contaminent damage.

Some years back there was at least on eliptical-shaped vac with an integral water tank/filter for use in contexts requiring 100% dust removal.

The design of Kirby cleaners means the dust does not get near the motor. ... and you can pick up an older Kirby system for as little as £30 ..I did :0)

Dysons are a triumph of "design" and marketing hype over durability. Not many owners are going to admit spending upto £300 on one was ill-advised.

For general use, a Henry or its higher priced Numatic branded incarnations are some of the most durable vacs/£ you can buy and use.

Best bet for toner dust is a damp cloth .... or a damp brush with natural fibre bristles. The keyword is DAMP ... not dripping wet. Then bag up the old cloths/brush and safely dispose of.

Best to wear an apropriate dustmask when dealing with toner and other fine dust particles .

You could also consider using one of the "tacky" cloths used by paint sprayers on car bodywork/panels to remove dust.

Just some thoughts for Xmas lol.

Reply to
treblesix

My DC03 is over 10 years old, has been used/abused with loads of stuff like builder's rubble, cat litter and general gunge, still working fine since the faulty clutch was fixed under warranty after a couple of years use.

Cheapo Vax wet&dry from ASDA also still going strong here. I expect I could easily modify that so that it worked as a water-filtered machine, but in the meantime I'll just use it for deep cleaning carpets and freshening furniture - I don't really have much to do with laser toner, with the amount of printing we normally do the current one should last a few years.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Likewise my ancient DC02. It's never had any repairs, and still works as good as the day I got it.

The key with a Dyson is to never let the pre-motor filter block.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I think another key point is to buy one about ten years ago - I suspect from what I've heard that the quality suffered some time after that, around the time they started doing different colours perhaps?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Ah, thanks for that Steve, I must admit I didn't think of that as I've never had to clear up spilt toner mess - I am aware though that toner can be toxic in certain situations.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Thanks. That looks like an idea I might play with, as I've also got other ideas to adapt other vacuum cleaners with add-on cyclone cans for getting rid of bulk stuff (in my case very dirty loose fill insulation in the loft). 2011 will be the year of inventiveness in the workshop.

:-)

Reply to
Adrian C

My father used to repair vacuum cleaners occasionally. I've seen at least two Dysons where there were no evident blockages etc but the suction was abysmal and AFAIK had been like that from new. Another one had the belt integrated into a complex plastic moulding (brightly coloured of course). He couldn't get parts from any of his usual suppliers and (most of them?) require a special tool to remove the power switch before you can start taking them apart. It can be done with conventional tools, but they tend to gouge the plastic. His customers preferred to pay his prices and risk marks than take it to an official Dyson agent! I'm sure most of this was more than 10 years ago.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

They used to come with an excellent extended warranty scheme, which included pick up from your premises, full service/clean and replacement filters as well as fixing whatever was wrong, return in about 10 days. So no need to pay extra for factory service, no problem getting parts ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

In article , Rob Morley writes

Same here, DC01. Must be nearing 15 years old. Has had new front bumper strip and brushes. Changed the power cord for a 7m one so I could do the house without changing sockets. Filters are 99p for a pack of 10 from fleabay, for that sort of money I'm not going to arse about with washable ones.

A local guy does refurbished DC07s for 30 quid delivered and they look like new. I keep wanting my '01 to die in a terminal way so I have an excuse to get one.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson