Loo seat

Further to my post of a couple of weeks ago bemoaning the generally rather fittings usually connecting loo seats with the pan, and wondering if there was any alternative design - I've now discovered there is - in B & Q of all places.

Having stood on my previous cheap white lid to do a job on the extractor fan and fortuitously broken it (the seat not the fan), I have, for the grand sum of £6.98 (less 10% geriatric discount) purchased a wooden "three piece" loo seat, with a completely different, very logically designed fitting that is very easy to install and looks very unlikely to start slipping, coming loose or whatever. I won't even begin to explain it in words. The picture doesn't really help either:

the "third piece" at the back of the seat covers, and is screwed on to, a sturdy plastic block that is in turn attached to the pan. I hope it works, but for £6.20 you can't really go wrong!

Keith

Reply to
Keith Dunbar

> but the "third piece" at the back of the seat covers, and is screwed on

Tell me more about geriatric discount!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

B & Q do 10% off on Wednesdays for over 60s. You have to bring in proof of age and they give you a discount card to present at the check out.

Keith

>>> but the "third piece" at the back of the seat covers, and is screwed on

Reply to
Keith Dunbar

That is about the size of it. I needed some plaster boards and plaster so I took my Grandad shopping on a Wednesday to B&Q.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

They are not that particular, they are promoting them at the moment.

If you look a bit decrepit they'll offer you one at the till. :-))

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

And a bloody nightmare it is as well. Every time I have to go to B&Q on Wednesdays its packed full of coffin dodgers! Can't move for zimmer frames, walking sticks and badly dressed pensioners. Takes ages to get through the checkout.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Use the trade counter.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks, I thought they'd stopped that. Worth considering ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes - why is he going to B&Q anyway when he's a proper tradesman - who knows everything :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 20:23:38 +0100, "Mary Fisher" mused:

......yeah.

Reply to
Lurch

There is nothing to consider. 10% off is 10% off. I also got my Grandad to get assistance to help load the van as he suffers from arthritis and I had a hangover. The staff were very obliging.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But there's a separate trade counter (at least in my local B&Q).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Our local branch doesn't have a trade counter - only in the 'superstores', I think.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 26 Jul 2007 20:43:27 GMT, "Bob Eager" mused:

The 'Warehouse' versions. ;)

Reply to
Lurch

Thats the second time you have said that - what gives you the idea I claim to 'know everthing'?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I went there tonight for 'one or two small items'. Came to 60 quid! They're no longer cheap, and they haven't as good a range. If I hadn't needed them in a hurry I'd have done better with screwfix or tlc.

I nust meander there next Wednesday with my bus pass and get a discount card.

Reply to
<me9

Gets about, doesn't he, your grandad....

With B&Q it would be a positive advantage. It sounds like he would be very good at fending off the busybodies in the electrical and plumbing aisles who accost customers looking for something and when told insist that the customer needs something completely different and usually unsuitable.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

You're such an old grouch! Just think, with any luck, you'll be a pensioner yourself, one day!

Reply to
Anne Jackson

He obviously doesn't know not to shop in B&Q on a Wednesday...

Reply to
Anne Jackson

With respect, you don't know how he works. I'd surmise that he arrives at a job on a Wednesday, to find that he needs something that couldn't be foreseen.

Reply to
Bob Eager