Loft insulation sizes and suppliers

Hi everyone,

I need to resinsulate my loft but I can't find suitable insulation. The ceiling joists are at 600mm centres, and there is a central section where the joist have been raised to 150mm for boarding. So, I need 570mm wide x 2000mm long x 150mm deep insulation for the raised section to replace the very poor insulation there. For the rest of the loft I want to top up the existing insulation, laying it transvers to the joists so the width doesn't really matter.

The only insulations I've found so far is Knauf from B&Q and Homebase, but althought it's 570mm wide it's only 100mm thick. They also have the Space Blanket rolls which I could use for the rest of the loft though. I can't find anyone who supplies Owens Corning locally and their web site doesn't list UK suppliers although I did get some from B&Q a few years back.

Can anyone help recommend a brand and a supplier in the UK please with more suitable insulation?

Reply to
Kooky45

What you want is totally standard, off the shelf. Call any builders merchant in your area, they will be able to supply. Call a few to get the best price if it is a large area.

Reply to
Grunff

[...]

The ordinary wide (i.e. 1.2m) rolls of rockwool or isowoll will be fine. You simply chop the whole role into sections ar the right width (they are pre-marked and partly cut through at 400mm and 600mm positions. You can lay as many layers as you want to get the desired thickness.

Reply to
John Rumm

Whats the best way to cut this stuff?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Whats the best way to cut this stuff?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

It's already pretty much separated - all you do is cut through the paper with a knife then use your hands to part the sections.

Reply to
Grunff

Pull it apart - or use a panel saw if it need further persuasion

Reply to
John Rumm