Cleaning car screen washer container

The screen washer tank on my car is a semi transparent white polypropylene type container. Over the years a dark algae scale like deposit has formed on the inside surfaces, mostly above the water line. I removed the container from the car thinking it would be fairly easy to clean out, but the deposit has defeated all I have thrown at it.

I've tried descaler thinking it to be a limescale build up from tap water, hot washing soda that shifts the stains in my teapot, and lastly, with my Marigolds on, caustic soda. Using a stiff brush I've managed to clean up the surfaces that can be reached through the filler hole, but I think this is more by force than any effect of the chemicals used. Very dark patches persist in the areas, nooks and crannies out of reach.

Any ideas as to what the growth is and how it might be dissolved from the inaccessible areas - apart from buying a jar of 'screen washer container scale dissolver' at the local car accessory shop?

Roger

Reply to
Roger

Try an eggcup full of bleach, top up with warm water and leave a few hours/overnight.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I suppose there is a good reason why simply closing the bonnet, and ignoring it isn't an option?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Been doing that for a couple of years and it hasn't made any improvement ;-)

It's just looks a bit like neglect and I thought it would be easy to smarten it up by cleaning it.

Roger

Reply to
Roger

I would try cleaning it with bleach, and if that does nothing, either descaler, or battery acid. Failing that, perhaps lye.

There isn't much that will damage polypropylene.

Actually, I lie, I'd just stick it back in, and wonder why on earth I thought of cleaning it in the first place :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

A little Biotex in with the water works better than bleach as the enzymes dissolve the crud. Cleans the screen well too!

Reply to
Geoff Beale

"I also have had this problem. What I did was to put some sand and water in the washer bottle, and shake it. The sand was abrasive enough to remove the green algae. Then you just need to was out the sand.

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

I think they all go like that, especially if you don't use an alcohol-based screenwash additive as opposed to just water. But why do you want to clean it?

Reply to
hudsterou

You could remove it from the car, put a couple of handfulls of gravel / pea shingle in it, a bit of washing up liquid and water and shake violently for as long as it takes / you can - caution if the pump is in there - if its lime from the water it should dissolve out with warm kettle cleaner / vinegar.

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

In message , nick smith writes

Or buy some pleckos and let them just eat it away

Reply to
raden