Cleaning laptop screen

Tried screen wipes but they didn't seem to do much.

Damp kitchen towel removes dust but not grease.

Any suggestions (not involving an angle grinder) for a good and safe way to clear greasy finger prints etc. of a laptop screen?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Glasses cleaner cloth.

(from a case - not a wet one)

They do special cleaning clothes but they cost money. If you wear glasses you'll have a decent cloth or two tucked away.

Reply to
mogga

Soft tissue dampened with Gin or any other high octane spirit works wonders - use it often on my glasses as well.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Laptop screen wipes?

I use a standard yellow duster with some furniture polish sprayed onto it, and I've had no problems on any of my laptops in the last fifteen years or so.

Reply to
John Williamson

This is exactly what I do as well. A smear, literally ...

J^n

Reply to
jkn

I think this is the province of that trusty lightweight solvent isopropyl alcohol, sold I believe as 'screen cleaner', oddly enough..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Check what (if any) the non-IPA content is though, some of it (e.g. Servisol IPA170) dries with white deposits, the MSDS claims >60% IPA, I realise there's an element of 'formula hiding' on MSDSs

Reply to
Andy Burns

I wouldn't use a product that contains silicone wax or similar.

Reply to
Graham.

Hot water to dampen the towel. I usually use it from the kettle not long after boiling. Can be hot to handle, but not too bad. Works on LCD screens too. After using the damp towel, follow up with a dry one.

Reply to
devany

I use whatever I lay my hands on first. Flash with bleach works well and the monitor is still fine.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Micro fibre cloth - evey time. If really caked then I've sprayed the cloth with glass cleaner first. Every smudge removed easy. They really do work amazingly well.

Fluffy ones work best IMO. Lidl ones are v good. [observe washing instructions]

Reply to
Simon Cee

Simon Cee :

What are you people *doing* with your laptops to get them so mucky? Or shouldn't I ask? :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

De-mineralised water[1] with a tiny amount of detergent[2] added, heated so it is _warm_, but not scalding hot. Moisten soft tissue or cotton wipe with this and gently clean the screen. The warm solution helps by melting the lipids in the fingerprints.

I've used this for decades, on all kinds of optical surfaces, with good results.

Be careful with rubbing with any alcohol - I once managed to strip off the anti-reflective coating off a CRT screen with it.

[1] distilled water, or frost/ice from freezer, condensed water from fridge etc. This will not leave a mineral residue. [2] washing up liquid is OK, but beware that some of them may contain salts - which could result in a residue if allowed to dry. If you see this, clean a second time with pure mineral-free water
Reply to
ts

Just occasionally, a joke is posted, and the result of the ensuing splutter gets on the screen, especially if it is read just as a sip of a drink is taken. Comments posted as a result include "This used to be a perfectly good keyboard" (with missing characters) and so on. HTH. ;-)

Sneezing happens, too.

Reply to
John Williamson

polish

Neither would I. Silicone furniture "polishes" are good for one thing only, lubricating plastic curtain tracks. Use any where else ends up with a crudy film of silicone that looks really tatty.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I use Boots spectacle cleaner spray.

Spray onto a cotton handkerchief and wipe the screen all over. Reapply to any stubborn bits. Give the screen a wipe all over with a dry section of the hanky.

Cheap as chips as a big bottle of spray goes a long way.

Just be careful it does not run into the panel edges.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If you mean paper towell, do not do this any more - the paper contains fine wood fibres and will eventually scratch plastic screens.

As I said in another post, cotton hanky (which can be washed).

Reply to
Tim Watts

+1 leave any other cleanimg method,er, looking dusty

Poundland do a range :-)

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Great. How much are they?

Reply to
Graham.

... or tumble drier condensate. If necessary use something stronger first to get the dirt moving, then the clean stuff as a rinse.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ