Loft Insulation

Page 8 of 10

I removed old tatty 100mm glassfibre insulation to 150mm Rockwool and 300mm over the main bedroom. The main bedroom was certainly cooler than the other bedrooms in August.

It is certainly "a lot" cooler in summer and warmer in winter and that is what matters to me. There must savings in heating bills. I can't put a figure on being cool as I never paid a/c bills before I put the insulation in.

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:00:34 -0000, "Neil Jones"
<snip details>

I noted that the negative loss (ie gain) from upstairs to downstairs via the floor/ceiling, whilst initially noted, then became shown as an actual loss:-

            ^^^^^^                    ^^^^^^^^
So this becomes                             = 5279 W

And this                                = 11.6Kw

Now 56%
Just for accuracy's sake!
--
Regards,

Will.

Most of the radiator manufacturer calculator programs deal with internal losses but not internal gains - they ignore them.
Generally though, the amount is small unless one has deliberately large temperature differences between rooms.
For radiator sizing purposes it is probably better to ignore that heat gain happens anyway and go for a more conservative approach. Of course the radiator manufacturers sell a larger radiator as well. Perhaps that's why they take this approach to the calculations.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I noticed that after I posted but I followed Andrew Gilligan's example and kept quiet until after the enquiry :-)

Did you get the main bits wrong too?

downstairs
as an

example
Which main bits?

The bits which matter, just like Gilligan. Gilligan has now been banished to an Island.

banished
In that case, no.

Then you have no need to resign. The fat slob should have been sacked.

sacked.
That's handy - I'll tell my boss...

Keep it above board, like Blair did, and no problems.
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:51:21 -0000, "Neil Jones"

When can we expect your resignation? ;)
PoP

example
I have been vindicated by the completely fair, open and balanced investigation held by the IMM.

Look again.
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:15:27 -0000, "Neil Jones"

Well that must be reassuring then :)
PoP

If that extra costs 100, then that is 10%. very god. Then if energy costs rise then even greater return.

Qualitative argument. I illustrated how greater savings and higher ROI could be achieved.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

costs
You illustrated a flawed one.

Read the post again. I don't believe there is a mistake in the arithmetic. If you believe there is then please correct the numbers and provide the figures.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

about
done.
Read my posts again, about how you approach it.