Large built-in kitchen bin?

Having just moved my washer and drier out of my kitchen, I now have 2 x 60cm wide under-worktop spaces to fill. I thought it would be nice to conceal a big rubbish bin in one of them. All of the ones I have seen are "under sink" bins and are unusably small at

15 litres. I've seen some that have 2 or 4 x 20litre bins, but I want one where I can use a single large black bin bag that I only have to change once a week.

Does anyone know if you can get large (over 60 litres) built-in kitchen waste bins? Cheers.

Reply to
Haam S lo

I took a standard large bin and cut a hole in the base of the cupboard so the bin fitted (linings/edgings and base so it looks OK and can be cleaned). Hinge the front of the bin on the base and arrange a bungey at the back so that the bin tips forward as the door opens, a check strap at the back stops it from coming too far. Make a hinged removable lid and attach a cord from the top of the cupboard to the lid so that as the bin swings forward the lid opens. It's been in use for nearly 10 years with occasional replacement of cord and bungeys. We're expecting to refit the kitchen later this year and I'll use the same principle again but replace the bungey with a weight and pulley because it's difficult to get the tension right for the range of possible bin "loadings".

Dave S

Reply to
Dave

Not that I'm saying you can't do it if you want but from a hygeine point of view, rotting waste in your kitchen for a week? You'll have them 2 women with rubber gloves off the telly round before long!

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Haam S lo wrote on Wednesday (21/01/2004) :

That sounds to be rather large and rather a long time between emptying a kitchen waste bin. We find one which fits on the back of a cupboard door, reusing Tesco bags to be much more sensible, which we empty every evening. A weeks worth of soggy kitchen waste will really niff ;-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield