Liquid sander on waxed pine

I want to 'tart up' some 10-year old pine furniture for my daughter's bedroom. The pine was waxed initially and has discoloured/been splashed with water etc and now needs cleaning up. I would like to be able to paint some stencil pictures on the doors for my daughter. As the furniture is very heavy & I will have to work with it in situ (rather than haul it outside) I wondered whether liquid sander may be an option to avoid all the usual dust from sanding. I am wary that washing it off afterwards may ruin the pine. Has anyone tried liquid sander on wood that hasn't been painted?

Jo

Reply to
Jo

Mmm! Maybe I'll give that a go first, although a degree of sanding will be necessary to remove the water splash marks from one of the items of funiture. Jo

Reply to
Jo

I would give it a quick sand with a something like a palm sander if you have, or could borrow one. Unless its a real thick coat of wax, 60 or 80 grit followed by 120 to finish should do it. The problem is that you could mess about for ages with lots of lotions and potions, but sanding will definitely give you the best chance of either removing - or at least blending - the water marks on the wood. If there is alot of wax and the sandpaper is clogging too quickly, then I would probably use a wood/razor scraper to get the worst off then sand....but I would think it should be fine to just sand.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

================= When you do the necessary final sanding have your vacuum cleaner handy. Hold the hose of the vacuum close to where you're sanding and most of the dust will go straight into the cleaner.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Wire wool and white spirit is the best way to remove wax. You can't sand it because it just melts with the friction, and sticks to the abrasive.

Reply to
stuart noble

The nice thing about WS is that you get rid of the excess but enough stays in the grain to buff up when dry.

Reply to
stuart noble

What is "liquid sander" ?

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

================= Liquid sander. It was shown on TV the other night - I've never heard of it before that. It's a liquid containing abrasives and it was shown being used to remove paint spots on a varnished floor. I guess that it's something similar to 'T-Cut' which is used to 'cut back' paint work on cars.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero