StealthUK

From: Paul Mc Cann:

Since a new cheap tool is generally cheaper than the repacement widget this is a non issue. In fact it is an advatntage for the cheaper tool: no waiting around for it to get repaired, no drive to the repair place, no hassle over the guarantee.

PJ wrote:

Cheap doesnt necessarily equal bad. Once familiar with tools one can assess whats good and what isnt. There are some cheapies that are fine, and some that are total junk.

and:

no. I've done many things in situations where I didnt have much in the way of tools available, and one can do a perfectly good job with all sorts of crap tools or improvisation. Light bulbs can be used to measure V and i, a piece of card and a pin makes a perfectly effective level, screwdrivers can become oil filter wrenches and so on. Quality of job can be just as good. Also one can in some cases get bad tools and make them good, eg woodchisels with a poor grind.

From: Dave Plowman (News)

But this doesnt consistently relate to price. Often does, sometimes not.

From: Michael Mcneil:

Smalller sales volume, same setup costs...

PJ wrote:

Sometimes true, sometimes not. And sometimes not the most significant. Capital outlay matters for a lot of people too.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

But you said it was public opinion, not just yours. Or was that just another opinion?

I hope I'd be careful not to make such sweeping statements.

That *all* Japanese engines are more 'abuse proof' than BMW? I think you'll find it doesn't.

Again, you appear to be speaking for 'the public'. It's a worrying trait...

It tells me you're trying to introduce red herrings. 4% is a tiny proportion.

You're moving the goalposts again. I'm still waiting for reasonable proof about your assertion about the bomb proof abilities of all Japanese engines - not a discussion about the relative merits of individual models. Which is a personal choice thing. I'm perfectly willing to debate that after you've justified your first statement, though. ;-)

A run of the mill car which happens to be RWD, which is rather unusual if not unique in its class, and which is why it's nice to drive...

Your choice. You might not be so pleased when you come to sell, though.

Now we're getting close to your *real* reason. Why didn't you just say this in the first place rather than making up stories?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Reply to
Paul Herber

Maybe some older engines. The newer ones can't blow.

Reply to
IMM

if you know what you are doing, you can get a straight line from

What other sort of line can you get from a laser apart from straight? (OK I know it's not REALLY straight as it'll be curved by the earth's gravitational field but for most DIY purposes it can be regarded as straight)

NB

Reply to
Nick Brooks

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:44:16 +0100, Nick Brooks strung together this:

I think 'straight' has been inadvertantly used in the last few posts as opposed to 'level'.

Reply to
Lurch

Try out an S60R, 300bhp stock, 350+bhp with ECU upgrade (£800), you'll still be left with a lot of cash in the bank compared to a E46 M3, and a car that can do a lot more than go quickly round a track.

Whilst the M3 is a wonderful car to drive in anger, it's an absolute pain in the ass to drive around town, and uncomfortable on long journeys.

End unprovoked rant!

Alex

Reply to
Alex

No, It was my opinion about public opinion. It's very simple.

Get BMW to sue me.

Where am I speaking for the public in that statement? I've simply said that the JD power survey results do not necessarily represent the public perception of reliability.

Read again, 41%...Fourty-one percent, not 4%.

Reply to
StealthUK

Apologies for misreading this.

However, you expect me to accept a presumably properly conducted public opinion poll, but disregard the JD type surveys as not being representative?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Nick Brooks" wrote | What other sort of line can you get from a laser apart from | straight? (OK I know it's not REALLY straight as it'll be | curved by the earth's gravitational field but for most DIY | purposes it can be regarded as straight)

Great, I'm blaming my last wonky shelves on the earth's gravitational field. There's a great big lump of rock behind the house which must have pulled my perpendiculars out.

Thanks for the new excuse. I'll add it to the Bastard DIYer From Hell 'excuse of the day' calendar.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

How have you established this as a fact. The last (only) time I had to take back a Makita cordless screwdrive because the chuck had jammed the repair cost me nada, zilch, nuttin.

snip

So I assume you buy a quantity of each tool so you don't have to drive to the shop to buy a new one each time one fails ?

The beauty of a good tool is that it seldom if ever needs repair, it will last a long time, eliminating all those trips back to buy a new one, and if it does fail perhaps through an accident replacement parts can be obtained to prolong its life.

Its true that a bad workman blames his tools but a good workman just doesn't tolerate sub standard equipment.

But whatever turns YOU on.YMMV.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann