Lidl tools

Inspired by this thread, looked up the nearest Lidl, drove to Leeds, found they hadn't got any props, got directed to another store, they didn't either :-( Nothing, nada, zip, of any worth in the useful practical items section. Wasn't tempted by the "Eruption" aftershave either. To compound things, seeing as I was in Leeds I thought I'd go to Ikea - on a Saturday.

Reply to
Toby

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 21:01:16 +0100, "IMM" strung together this:

Do you do it on purpose?

Reply to
Lurch

That should depress their sales, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah taken in the appropriate spirit, thanks.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Aldi are selling the same level for 17 quid or so. Has anyone used one/got one/heard from a friend who's neighbour has a cousin who met a man in Butlins who got on a bus when a man who thought he saw one being used was just getting off a bus of similar though not identical colour?

*A multiple of 1 to the nth degree, eh?*** **Superlative offer! ***A cunning device or a really special offer?

(NB In this instance the term superlative offer in used in the context of a semanticism****)

****I just made that word up***** *****I think.
Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Well, you're in good company - IMM.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Aiiiieeeeeeeeeeeee!

Reply to
Steve Firth

No but bad tools can guarantee a bad job!

Reply to
PJ

Exactly. BMW is inferior. All surveys and feedback is that Honda and Toyota are the amongst the most reliable cars around. BMW is way down the list.

Reply to
IMM

No, the chras meant cars, a typo.

Reply to
IMM

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 12:41:50 +0100, "IMM" strung together this:

No, you dippy rollabout lardarse, I meant the random comments.

Reply to
Lurch

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:42:42 +0100, "PJ" strung together this:

Not quite, bad workmanship guarantees a bad job, whether you use bad or good tools. ;-)

Reply to
Lurch

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 22:39:47 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Mcneil" strung together this:

Have you been drinking by any chance? Anyway, I've got a cheap laser level, its not bad if you know what you're doing with it. Tripods a bit unstable but with a little care you can get it to do a straight line.

Reply to
Lurch

I hate to continue this thread :-)...but

I've owned and worked on a wide range of cars as well and IMO eventhough BMW cars are well put together their reliability is overrated. Japanese engines can take far more abuse than BMW engines and last longer. The only positive I'll give BMW is that the bodywork isn't made of tin foil, but the same can apply to Vauxhall!

Reply to
StealthUK

No they can't. Bad tools that you don't know, or are incapable of finding out are bad they are can. 'Bad' tools can be of use if you know their limits. A worn screwdriver is a lot better than no screwdriver at all, and will often work fine, as long as you push hard enough so that it won't cam out. A laser level where the beam isn't properly aligned to its base can be used if you know the fault, even if you can't fix it. No, it's not as easy to use bad tools, but in many cases, you can leave an extra few millimeters and finish off in other ways, or take a bit of extra time working round the deficiencies in tools to end up with a good result.

Yes, it's nice to have perfect tools, but even with perfect tools, you have to know their limits.

Even the best screwdriver won't grip the screw much harder than the average, or live long if you habitually let it burr screws.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Mr Pole! Please refrain!

Bean, poignant comments my boy.

Reply to
IMM

The current crop of Honda and Toyota have tinfoil bodies? Please get real. The latest Toyota ads are highlighting the solidity and quietness of the cars. Neighbours have a 10 year old Honda, that is parked outside and looks about 1 year old. No major breakdowns and still glides along. 5 years ago they were considering selling it, but it just kept going and drove like new, so why sell?

Reply to
IMM

By whom? I hate to agree with IMM, but BMW aren't - and never were the very most reliable cars, statistics wise.

But then many want a car that's enjoyable to drive - not just reliable.

That's rather a sweeping statement. BMW are recognised as one of the finest engine makers in the world. And an engine which can take abuse doesn't make it a good design.

Hmm. Most engines blow up these days rather than wear out. And a common cause is a broken cam belt. BMW doesn't use these anymore. Other than that, I'd love to know where you get your statistics from.

No car is or ever was made of tinfoil.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Toby writes

Damn. Beer all over my monitor.

Tsk. Bad move. At least you can see Ikea Warrington's car park from the M62, so can decide whether it's worth turning off and waiting/fighting the shellsuited crowds or just carrying on.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

"Even I beat up on kids who use 'Porplies'", mutters 'I hate them so much'

2 points if you know who said that.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur