Lidl PIR Lamp

On Monday 03/10/11 Lidl are offering an inexpensive PIR lamp that appears to do what I need.

spec. says that it has adjustable light output - 3 - 100 lux. Anyone got experience of that type of functionality because, for one purpose, that might do just what I want.

They are also offering a tap aerator kit.

effective are these on gravity fed taps? Or do you need mains pressure to make them viable? At that price maybe suck it and see.

Reply to
polygonum

I can't help you on the variable lux I'm afraid, but thanks for the link: this might well suit me, too.

I'm slightly dubious about it being "splashproof" though. Does that mean one good rainfall and it dies?

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

I think you'll find that the spec which says: "Adjustable brightness from (lux):

3 - 100" refers to the triggering level of the PIR. I.e. you can set it so that even if the PIR detects a warm body, if the ambient light is too high (e.g, it's still daylight) then the lamp won't switch on.

> How effective are these on gravity fed taps? Or do you need mains pressure

Reply to
root

that's it, refers to the pir operation light level, not the light output level,

i have one of those lights, bought it in been and queued 2 years ago, i have a 10 meter square garden, and i can see it fine with the light from this lamp, ok it's not enough to work by past 4 meters, but for illuminating the garden to see whee the cat is to spray the hose or watching for dogs eggs when you walk out in bare feet at night, it's fine,

when it's frosty out the lamp can take about 30 seconds to get to full brightness, but most cfl's are like that, especialy if used outdoors in winter.

dunno about splashproof, rain splashes doent it? i imagine they are saying dont clean the glass with a pressure washer,

Reply to
Gazz

Actually, I'd say that it does rather more than that. I thought the spec meant that it could withstand the odd incidental splash but not sustained rainfall.

But if you've had no rain-related problems with yours, that's reassuring.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Thanks both - somewhat awkward phraseology on the site. Understand exactly what you mean.

Reply to
polygonum

(lux): 3 - 100"

daylight) then the

Yup, probably what they are trying to say....

then again it might be a recognition of the fact it has a low energy lamp in a cold environment... Hence when it triggers, you get 3 lux when you want much more, then 5 mins later its heading toward 50 now you no longer need it! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

(lux): 3 - 100"

daylight) then the

It might have a CFL that's suitable for low-temperature use, but I doubt it. Fitness for purpose...?

Reply to
PeterC