Li Ion batteries

Just been reading through the safety instructions for the Li Ion batteries on my new Hitachi 18v SDS.

"Do not place in a tumble drier or a microwave oven".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You read the instructions?

Proper blokes NEVER do that.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

OK. I'm a nerd :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Generally speaking, these ludicrous warnings arise from court cases in the USA where some moron put the batteries in a microwave (I expect some other moron on the internet told him you could charge them up that way) and then they went bang.

Reply to
Huge

Warming up dry cells in an ordinary oven was a way of coaxing some more life out of them. So I'd guess Chinese whispers resulted in a modern version.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But a safer one...

Reply to
Davey

Wife bought Miniature (Patio) Rose in a pot yesterday. Label said "Not for Human consumption". I suppose I'll have to feed it to the slugs then....

Reply to
Olav M

Of all the countless things people could - but should not - do with them, they select two plain-as-a-pikestaff-to-anyone-with-a-brain examples to specifically warn about? Within the confines of an ordinary kitchen - place on a red hot cooker ring, put into waste disposal unit, try to burn in an Aga (after all, di-lithium is carbon...).

Agreed about why, but the ludicrous (and foreseeable) consequence is that people to not take heed of any important, sensible warnings about anything.

Reply to
polygonum

Does not cure TB...

Reply to
polygonum

Good point.

Reply to
Huge

Like I said, I expect these are the result of specific court cases.

Reply to
Huge

Phil L

Wince.

Reply to
Huge

I bought a battery charger this week. I've read the instructions twice and I _still_ can't work it.

(LiPo balance charger)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Do they have the obligatory little Japanese man doing it with an X across it or some cartoon explosion afterwards. I used to enjoy Hitachi instruction books as they obviousluy had a sense of humour.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No the first challenge is to get them to actually read them in the first place, which is where we came in. I noted that when I bought my last shaver it had a little picture of a wheel running over the shaver with an X by it, at least this is what my reader person said it was, but she had no idea what it meant.

Do not run over your shaver I'd have thought was rather obvious, but I've lost the book now so I'll never know for sure.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You mean to say that you've never tried shaving a car tyre?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

He used to, until he got his new shaver.

Reply to
Phil L

I use a razor blade to help with puncture repairs on bike tyres - close enough?

Reply to
Clive George

Well, that's excellent advice, if you ask me. David

Reply to
Lobster