LED Solar Spotlight - any good?

As seen in Lidl

Mains-free, environmentally friendly outdoor light with motion sensors With 80 bright, long-life LED?s Solar panel with connection cable, length approx. (m): 4.75 =============================

Other solar LED garden lights I've seen have been useless. Have they improved much?

TIA

Reply to
Simon Cee

I suppose it depends on how bright you want it. I purchased a twin lamp (22 LEDs in total) to illuminate an area which is normally pitch black and it works a treat, dont think I could read a book by it but more than enough to light up access to my shed and get the key in the lock. In fact if I remember I will take a pic tonight and post it on here tomorrow it may give you an idea.

Reply to
ss

I could read a book by it but more than

Much appreciated. Its for a car-port and to provide enough light for the cctv camera. More of a deterrant really, its in a dark corner of a courtyard, with no easy mains option.

Does yours work ok in winter? ie long nights short days.

Reply to
Simon Cee

Still to be tested over winter but as I will not use the shed much during this period it shouldnt be an issue for me. One thing I am going to do before winter sets in is put a small silicone bead around the solar panel to ensure that water doesnt gain access.

Reply to
ss

Unfortunately the photography didnt go well as the flash kept going off and lighting the area.

Reply to
ss

We have a Lidle 10 LED one that lights up the front of the drive and a step very well. sensitive from about 10m away and light stays on for about 1 to 2 mins (no adjustment)

It's our 3rd solar 'security' [1] light in 10 years and they are getting cheaper and better.

The first was a dusk 'till dawn one and in winter it would still be working after midnight but probably not much more than that

[1] round here people leave doors unlocked when they go out and some leave their keys in the car overnight

John

Reply to
JTM

ss - np, ta v for trying.

jtm, arfa, thanks. Will call and get one - no big deal at the price if its not 100%

Reply to
Simon Cee

Went today, none left. TBH I doubt they'd be much good. Looking at similar on amazon etc they all get poor reviews.

Reply to
Simon Cee