Low Voltage LED Spotlight

I've just purchased a few (not too pricey) GU5.3 LED bulbs to replace my low voltage lamps in my stairway.

On connecting and switching on the bulb flashes then goes out, if I switch off then back on it again flashes.

Is this likely to be a transformer problem, unfortunately due to a building extension each of 5 lamps on my stairway have a separate transformer and it would be very difficult to rewire each into a new transformer.

Any ideas appreciated.

Geoff Lane

Reply to
Geoff Lane

Probably below minimum load on the trafo, usually 10 or 20 W.

Looks like you`ll have to look at the wiring fishing thread from a while back.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Thanks Adam, was wiring fishing the subject?

Did an initial google search and no luck.

Geoff Lane

Reply to
Geoff Lane

To verify this, put a normal lamp in (maybe two) and see if this cures it!

If this is the case, then you will need to either leave the circuit with a micture of lamps, or chnage the transformer for a lower wattage one, but make sure if you decide to switch back, you put the old one back in, or you will probably end up overloading the smaller one!

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

Thanks for reply Toby, it may be impracticable to replace the transformer (cost wise) as I cannot get to the wiring to get one transformer to supply multiple bulbs and one transformer per bulb would be costly.

Geoff Lane

Reply to
Geoff Lane

Cant remember thread title , was in last few months with tips about pulling wiring....

If all the trafos are wired in parallel on one circuit and provided you can get access to all of the trafos, remove all of the existing tafos, paralell up the connections behind lamps and use a single 12V constant voltage driver at easiest location with space.

?_dyn=charset=3DUTF-8&fh_search=3Dled+driver&searchbutton.x=3D0&searchbutton.y=3D=0&searchbutton=3DsubmitHTHAdam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Thanks for suggestion Adam, I will view the links but from the limited view I have of the lamps and trafos one I can see joins in to a mains junction box so at a guess all of them are spurs off the mains wiring.

Geoff Lane

Reply to
Geoff Lane

If they`re wire ended trafos common to link them off a junction box, like Toolstation link.

Ones with internal terminals usually come with loop in and out nowadays (thankfully), like screwfix item which is physically quite a bit bigger.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Thanks for the links Adam, my problem is that with the wiring behind ceiling plasterboard I cannot see where the wiring goes to or comes from.

I think I understand your explanation, you are suggesting the transformers are all being fed off of one electrical spur.

I will think about that option.

Geoff Lane

Reply to
Geoff Lane