Lean-to greenhouse: Would 38 x 38 sawn timber be strong enough for frame?

treated will last 15 years in wet soil, untreated about 2.

I didn't relish the thought of working with wet wood. So I

Broken panes are a fact of life with horti glass.

I wouldn't bother with anything frankly.

You will want to scrub it occasionally to remove dust dirt and lichen, anyway. Pressure washer good.

I had an old Al frame, and some of its glass. The glass didn't survive being stored, and nore did half th new glass carefully transported home. there was a bolt head under the boot carpet that cracked the lower sheets from the weight of the upper.

All in all the glass cost nearly as much as a new greenhouse would have.

Frames are cheap. Glass is not.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It soon dries out.

NT

Reply to
NT

I've since found acrylic 'glass' sheets 3mm thick for £4.95 (457 x

610) on the web, which I'm probably going to go for. Adds another 30 quid to the project, though -:(

MM

Reply to
MM

They were probably overcome from the creosote fumes! Actually, that probably got 'em out of doors and eating worms instead of gorging on poultry food.

MM

Reply to
MM

MM

Reply to
MM

Ah, I was advised two hours ago by my local glass supplier that this occurred because you transported the sheets flat (I didn't mention your name!). He said one should NEVER transport or store them flat, but on the edge. He offered to deliver my order (horti glass) for free on his way home, so I'm back to using glass now!

MM

Reply to
MM

Even horticulatural glass should outlast acrylic. The plastic gets scratched, dull & cloudy over time, ends up an eyesore.

NT

Reply to
NT