Laying laminate flooring on battens

I'm renovating a room in my house which has a concrete floor - I've layed 50mm battens at 600 centres with Kingspan between, and plan to lay laminate over that. It's been suggested to me that I should lay chipboard first, and the laminate won't be sufficiently supported by the battens - that seems like overkill to me, but I'm ready to be persuaded - any opinions/experience?

Thanks,

R.

Reply to
Reuben_D

Presuming you are using the standard type laminate (7mm thick or so). Your design will not give the laminate enough support and it will bounce and crack like crazy. It needs full support underneath.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Try it, put a piece of laminate on a couple of bits of wood two feet apart and walk, jump, dance on it. BTW, it will break if its anything like the laminate flooring I have seen. The only possible saving would be if the Kingspan supports the floor rather than the battens which would require careful sizing of the battens and a level subfloor (so no battens needed, catch 22).

With 2 feet between centres I am not sure I would trust 18 mm flooring to provide a solid floor.

Reply to
dennis

No chance, it will crack the first time its walked on..

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It depends on how rigid the Kingspan is.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

laminate is not a flooring its a flooring finish

hth

Reply to
h.hasson