Kitchen - making a spur off a gas pipe

Further to my post about cooker hoods.
I have a new gas supply in copper pipe clipped at skirting board height on one side of my kitchen. I'm now contemplating locating the hob that the gas supply was installed for on the opposite side of the kitchen. Can I, as suggested by the installer (my CORGI plumber), simply Tee into the supply and run a new pipe across the kitchen buried in the concrete screed? If so, how deep does it need to be, how do I protect the (copper) pipe from the corrosive effects of cement and what other protection should I give the pipe?
TIA Richard

It's always a good idea to slip the copper inside a plastic pipe before burying it in concrete or even pushing it through a stone wall. A 15mm pipe will fit neatly into a 22mm plastic pipe.
BigWallop wrote:

That's what I suspected. I had a conversation with my plumber last night about this last night. He said bury it in the screed after wrapping it some 'Denso' (?) tape - it's an evil grease loaded tape that will protect the copper pipe from the agressive effects of the backfill, speaking of which; I guess it should be a fairly weak concrete to allow for subsequent excavation if necessary - any idea what strength? He also said that I should remove the gas meter after having attached a jumper lead across the two pipes.
Sound OK?
Is Denso the right name.
Richard
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:56:51 +0000, Richard Savage wrote:

I think you might find the Gas Fitting FAQ a bit helpful. Removing the meter is a bit drastic.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Richard Savage wrote:

If Denso tape says it is suitable for that application and you apply it as per their instructions then it should be OK. The rules on burying gas pipework in screeds etc are in BS6891, also in the CORHGI book 'Essential Gas Safety' and CITB and Viper training documents and doubtless other documents besides. You must make sure the pipework is sound (gas tight) before wrapping and burying it.

Why? Are you going to solder up close to the meter connection? The jumper lead across any break bit is OK. Sounds like you could do with reading Ed Sirret's docs on gas pipework (Google)
John S
John Stumbles wrote:

Something to do with stray sparks when removing the meter?

No. The plumber said that I should remove it because it holds a reasonable quantity of gas.

Or better still persuade my plumber to install the pipework ;-)
Richard

Only if he is CORGI registered. If he's not then it is illegal for him to do the work for you.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Hi Andy
Andy Hall wrote:

Yes he is. He only explained to me how to make the Tee because, like all plumbers, he is very busy.
Rgds Richard

OK, well as long as you consider yourself competent....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

Hi Andy,
Well having read the FAQ (Gas fitting FAQ http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html ), I'm not sure that I am sufficiently competant. SWTMBO is certain that the plumber should do the job!
Cheers Richard

That's the deciding factor then :-)

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 00:23:16 +0000, BigWallop wrote:

It's a bit more than a good idea, it's a necessity.
Note for the floor pipes that the they must be protected from corrosion by the concrete, this means sleeving it in felt or wrapping 'denso' tape around it (yuk). The pipes must be gas tightness tested before applying the sleeving.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk