Spur off a spur - making it safe?

Hi,

The previous owner of my house has spurred a double socket off an existing spurred double socket. I understand that this is against the current regulations as well as being dangerous because of the potential for excessive load on the cable to the first spur. To make it safe and legal I think all I need to do is add a 13A FCU before the first spur. Is this correct? I can't add them to the ring without disturbing a nicely sanded floor.

I don't suppose there is such a thing as a combined FCU/double socket to allow me to just replace the faceplate on the first spurred box (haven't seen anything like this in the shops so I'm guessing not)? Or, will I need to add a single box and FCU before the first spur?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers, Grant

Reply to
Grant

There are some triple sockets that have built in fusing. I wonder if a manufacturer of these has a model with a fused output, as well? It's a very long shot, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:55:07 +0100, "Christian McArdle" scrawled:

Not that I've seen, although you'd have to knock a triple box in anyway so while you're at it it would be a lot lot cheaper to just stick an FCU next to the existing double socket that everything is spurred from.

I think you can get a double socket and fused spur from someone like Hamilton but it is a custom made piece of equiopment AFAICR so is likely to cost a fair whack.

Reply to
Lurch

Why not dig out the old back box and install a double one suitable for two single plates. Fit one FCU and one single switchsocket. (Unless its essential you have a twin socket at that point).

Reply to
John

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:53:17 +0000 (UTC), "John" scrawled:

You'd still have to make the hole bigger to do that so you may as well just stick a switched spur in alongside the existing double socket.

Reply to
Lurch

Would I need one with a fused output? If I make the triple socket the first spur, wouldn't the fuse in it protect the wire to the first spur against an overload from the triple itself and the double spurred from it? Effectively I would be using the fuse in the triple to do the same job as an FCU. What am I missing here?

Cheers, Grant

Reply to
Grant

Yes. It would share (would have to share) the fuse with its own sockets.

Yes.

Only if it had a fused output. If you spur from its input, then no.

Nothing, except that the accessory might not exist.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:20:40 +0100, "Christian McArdle" scrawled:

I think that's the slight, but crucial, downside.

Reply to
Lurch