kitchen cupboard bracket/rail

Hi,

I remember an old thread about mounting cupboards on kitchen walls and people talked about different brackets they had used; some that they had welded themselves. Someone posted a link to a bracket or rail that they had bought and I am sure I kept it, thinking it might come in useful one day. I think the url went to a shop for other useful ironmongery too. The problem is I can't find it now. Does anyone remember the thread or the link?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

?fh_search=kitchen+cabinet+bracket&fh_ view_size=20

Reply to
harry

Mine are mounted on something like this;

The ones I used are aluminium and came from a local (now closed) builders merchant. Unlike the individual brackets the long strip gives better fixing opportunities on older walls.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

The problem I had was that a horizontal mortar line ran along the wall just where I wanted to fix the brackets. I ended up screwing 15mm x

2400mm x 600mm MDF sheets to the wall and fixing the brackets to them.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

How do they work then? I mean how is the cupboard bit fixed to the cupboard, and does it have opportunities for adjusting the height (or tilt) of the cupboard to match where the wall bracket finished up?

I fixed all mine by mounting a 2x1 batten underneath the run, sitting them on that then sticking a couple of big screws through the backs into the wall. Well ok, there is a bit more to it than that viz a viz pre-drilling, plugging etc, but its simple, easy and the batten takes the weight while your putting the screws it, and afterwards come to that.

Reply to
Phil Addison

The rail is screwed to the wall, the cabinets then hang on the rail using standard adjustable wall unit brackets. This image shows an adjustable wall unit bracket hung on to a standard single wall plate.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Note also that with the rail you have to cut out a small part of the cabine t side panel so the rail can pass behind if you want the cabinet to go righ t back against the wall. For the end cabinet the rail needs to stop just in side the cabinet side panel if there is no additional decorative panel bein g fitted. This is the only non-adjustable part of the setup.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Thank you. I don't know if that was the link I was thinking of but if it's not the same one, it's something very similar. It was some sort of kitchen ironmongery web site that I thought might come in useful one day.

Reply to
Fred

Thank you. I hadn't appreciated that. I wonder whether a better option would be to use a thin batten to keep the cabinets slightly off the wall, and have the batten the thickness of the rail. I can't remember if the url gave dimensions but I would have thought it would only be a few millimetres?

Reply to
Fred

My rails were from woodfit and quite substantial and I think their overall depth was about 6mm or so. They had 8mm holes which was great for fixing with standard frame fixings. Woodfit does not seem to list these any more.

Here is an example but with 6mm holes.

The hanging brackets (B&Q "Cooke & Lewis") mounted inside the cabinet side panels within the space behind the back panel, and were adjustable in all planes from screws inside the cabinets.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Reply to
bigbrotherggle

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

6152.html

A rail is worth the effort as is gives more options for getting a good fixing into the wall. I can't understand why the rail method is not standard.

Reply to
DerbyBorn