Kitchen cupboard hinges

One of ours - the upper hinge on the door beneath the sink, where the kitchen bin lives - persistently slips, and tightening has become almost part of the daily routine. This is the back screw on the hinge adjuster (the left of the two visible in the pictures below), which is supposed to keep things in place, once the alignment of the door has been adjusted. It seems that SWMBO's operation of the door in question is more vigorous than mine as, when she's in the kitchen, the hinge slips in no time, and she's complaining about the door drooping when it's opened. Suggestions that she might be leaning her weight downwards on the door are not well received, but it doesn't happen with such certainty when only I am in the house. ;-) I've tried tightening the keep-screw (dunno what to call it, it's the one on the left) before screwing in the adjustment screw [1], but it makes no difference. FWIW, the mount plate, screwed into the sidewall of the cupboard carcass, is firmly located. Would something like Loctite be an effective solution to this problem?

Correctly positioned:

is small, but discernable).

[1] Yes, I know both screws are used to adjust the alignment of the door, but it's easier to describe thus.
Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Appelation Controlee gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Wouldn't it be a shame if that part of the door developed splinters?

Reply to
Adrian

If the screw is not holding due a stripped thread then loctite wont help. It looks to me like a poor design. The screw which allow the back to front movement to be adjusted should be more central on the back plate. so there is less stress on the screw. Another thing that kills thes hinges is allowing them to self close. The shock on closure wears pivot pins and loosens screws in the chipboard. A little oil from time to time prolongs life too.

Do you have another door which gets much less use? if so swap the hinge and/or back plate over. Oh yes finally, retrain the family too!!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I would suggest you replace the hinge. Quite a few use the same screw and hinge hole positions. Have a look at the Blum Clip hinges. (Can't offhand remember exact positions, and there is a slight difference depending on carcase thickness. All details in the PDF linked below.) Even if the position is different, it isn't that hard to fill existing and make new ones in more or less the same position. (I use a Blum template - available at places that supply hinges for a few pounds.)

Obtainable in many places - and specifically my local supplier, Isaac Lord.

The Blum Clip hinges are a dream to adjust - at fitting time or later. And the door can simply be unclipped from the cupboard at any time.

Make sure you get the appropriate form of screw fitting - they are available for system screws (like you have) and for ordinary woodscrews.

If you do this, I *highly* recommend the Blumotion soft close devices that simply clip to the Clip hinges. Far, far better than the ones that fit on the opening side. With a heavy door and bin, might be best to fit two.

Reply to
Rod

I assume the bin isn't attached to the back of the door? If so, remove it. Bins, racks etc put too much stress on hinges.

With some hinges (if the screw is long enough) its possible to use a plain steel washer, which gives a bit more surface area to grip.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That adjustment screw seems to be a long way out. Is it tight? Does the other hinge have the same amount of thread showing?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

No, the bin simply stands inside the cupboard. The thread onb the screw is fine, but I'll try your sufgestion re. a washer. Thanks. :-)

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

And, in case that might have been mis-read that my wife is heavy, she surely ain't.

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

-------------------8><

Yes, the screw is tight, and the other hinge is more-or-less similarly adjusted. The carcasses are old (I supect 30-ish years), and there is the odd bit of departure from trueness. I fitted the white doors (B&Q) as a part of a budget makeover job a few years ago, and the hinge sets are those that came with the doors.

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Nice looking stuff, which I will follow up. Thanks. :-)

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

The covering plate (attached to the door) looks rather separated from the back plate (attached to the side wall of the cupboard) In the couple of types I use the outer plate partly covers the inner plate. Are you sure they're alligned and seated together correctly? If not then the back screw isn't making enough contact/pressure and will slip.

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard

-------------------8><

The second picture is after the slip has occurred, so there's no longer any tension on the covering plate (from the right-hand screw).

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Yes, however I am talking about the first picture. The outer plate covers over the edges of the inner plate on the two types I've got in my house.

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard

On the hinges I've used the grubscrew at the front adjusts for left-to- rightness of the door when closed, and the one at the back locks it into place and adjust front to back. You half undo that one to let the door slide forward and off.

Is it that screw which comes loose? On ours I just tried leaning on the door and the cabinet started making ominous creakings with no sign of the hinges pulling away at all.

Reply to
PCPaul

You have been the victim of "woman's misuse of cupboard doors - take care - she will also close drawers from one side causing the runners to wear. Does she claim to be just resting her hand on the door whilst putting things in the bin? Did the designer take this misuse into account when doing stress calculations on the hinge design or did he naively believe the hinge only had to take the weight of the door?

Reply to
John

Yes but the screw on the right adjusts the door in its lateral position across the cupboard front. If it's screwed some way in, the covering plate will be lifted away from the inner plate, won't it? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Does the hidden end of the adjusting screw have a grove machined in it?

If so, the groove has to locate in the slot so the screw can push and pull IYSWIM. Sometimes easier to remove the hinge plate, assemble the hinge & re fix the plate.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You're correct, the front screw will cause the plate to be lifted towards the front, the back screw has to be tightened up to lock the hinge in place after the front screw has been adjusted correctly.

If you tweak the front screw afterwards, then it will loosen the whole thing.

The side plates usually extend over the sides of the hinge enough that there isn't really a gap unless you have the front screw almost fully screwed in.

Reply to
PCPaul

This is what Paul was getting at, but I didn't follow his explanation. Anyway, no, it is located correctly in its slot. Meanwhile, I've found the box with the hinges I didn't use, and never got around to returning, so I've substituted a new on, and we'll see how it goes. Thanks to all for the contributions - if I don't revive the topic within a month, etc., ... :-)

Reply to
Appelation Controlee